dougweil

Well Known Member
Hi all:

Has anyone installed a stand-alone, panel mounted XM radio receiver? I am installing a WxWorx WX receiver that will display weather through my AFS 4500 but thought it might be cool to have XM radio also for my passenger (output through a Garmin 240 audio panel).

Sure, lots of folks have done it. Any specific question about it?

I bought a XM CommanderMT for my -7A but the display was waaaaaaaay too bright, even on the dimmest setting. If you never fly at night that would be a fantastic receiver. I just use the built-in receiver on my 496 and it works fine.

I cannot find myself paying the $34.99 a month for the aviator light service anylonger since I dont get to do much x-coutry flying......anyone else using a different graphic affordable service while flying....? XM offeres the WX for cars...anyone using this one?

Jamie: Does that unit easily mount in the panel (just like an aircraft radio?)

Not really. It does have a bezel that will fit into a single DIN automotive radio opening, but it would look really awkward in an instrument panel. There is also a plastic mount that could be match-drilled and screwed onto the panel that the UNIT will click into, but of course this would leave the unit sitting proud of the panel unless you decide to build a mount that would allow you to flush-mount it.