339A

Well Known Member
Well I flew from Front Range, CO (FTG) to Port Lavaca, TX (PKV) today. Had a great tail wind, stopped once to get fuel in Childress, TX. The flight took about 5 hours total in the 9A. That was the good part. I noticed soon after taking off from FTG that the 496 was not displaying the METARS. The NexRad was there as well as all forecasts/TAFS etc just no METARS.

I've seen this happen before but, they usually come up in a few minutes. Not today.... It was more than an hour before they finally popped up. Just before I got into some marginal weather crossing over the Oklahoma panhandle and north Texas. Everything was OK until after I landed at Childress for gas.
Shut everything down filled up the tanks and back into the 95 degree air of Texas. On climb out I notice no METARS again. This time they never came on at all for the entire 2 and half hour leg. The only thing I noticed was on the Weather tab, where you can select the different data. When I had it on METARS it kept displaying "waiting for data". I went to the XM radio tab and there you can see which products you have. The METAR tab was grayed out. :confused:

I have the aviator light package which includes METARS so not sure why this was. Anyone else have this problem today or was it just me? Or was XM having some kind of issue?

Appears to be a problem with XM. Garmin engineers are working with
them for a fix. Very sporatic reception on the West Coast as far as
US Metars. Canadian Metars are working OK, strange.......

NO METARS

Had the same problem Saturday morning in N. Texas.
Nexrad Radar but no Metars.

Rich
RV-6A

For what it's worth, I have it on pretty good authority that this problem has been cleared up as of today.

cheers,
mcb