Lancair Super ES

Well Known Member
Hello all.

My panel guy is stumped on how to get the XM radio signal to input to the audio panel. I am installing dual Advanced 4500s with the XM weather option. The radio signal will be there. Any ideas on how to get the XM radio to input to the audio panel (G340) or the AFS 4500?

In our 2 existing Lance's we do it. #1 is a 396 jacked in....we can do that but that is kinda sloppy and would require a second XM subscription, I think. #2, we have the Garmin GDL 69 and a MX20. The XM radio works and we even have controls in the panel to mute, channel up/down, and volume up/down.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Gordon

Lancair Super ES under construction, 50%
N144GP

I guess this can't be done. Odd.

Will need to reconsider using the Garmin GDL69/MX20, or dropping the weather from the AFS 4500. Maybe an all Garmin panel or MFD?

Bummer.

It's not a function or limitation of the AFS (or GRT or anyone else using the WxWorx box). It's just the WxWorx Receivers as shipped to date have been weather only. If you're thinking of the GDL, make sure you get the "A" because the regular GDL-69 is no music as well.

Also, keep in mind that without something like the GMX200 to tune it, you'll need to install toggle switches for tuning because the 430 won't tune it. This is part of the aforementioned issue, because I'm not aware at this point that either AFS or GRT have the ability to tune the music. Since this is the same limitation of the GNS430W, I fear the solution at the moment might be the same....a couple ugle toggle switches to control the volume and channel selection (blindly).

Lastly, keep in mind that the GDL-69A costs roughly the same as a GDU-375/GPS-696 from Garmin (which is a GPS+XM+Charts and everything else) for about the same price.

Lastly, if you're interested in the GMX/GDL69A combo....I have a screamin deal on both already wired up and ready to go.

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
The XM radio is supposedly in the latest XM box, we are working on the software to adjust the volume and channel selection. We have not had a chance to test it yet, I suspect it will be later this summer.

The radio is an additional subscription, I think it is about $11 a month. You can always add a separate XM Radio to your XM weather account for around $11. The XM radio in my car is on the same account as my RV-10 and RV-4.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Thanks to both Stein and Rob.

I think I'll be patient and wait for AFS to address the XM radio input. I'll leave out the XM manual controls on the panel assuming the volume/channel will be controlled on the Deck. I'll leave an audio in jack so I can jack another source in until then.

G2