Shadetree

Well Known Member
Here is my situation with my RV8A.
I have a Garmin 796 with XM subscription, also have Foreflight w/o Stratus that the subscription is about to go out, and just got the Garmin GLD 39 3d for ADSB in.
Would it be foolish to cancel the XM, let the Foreflight subscription run out and go with Garmin Pilot, and Bluetooth the GDL 39 to both the Garmin 796 and the Ipad with Garmin Pilot?
I find that I don't use Foreflight much in route and only use to flight plan on the ground since I have the 796. I have had XM for a lot of years and like Foreflight, but don't know much about Garmin Pilot.
Anyone got any advice?

This is only my opinion so remember to take it for what it is worth.

I have had ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot for several years. I have used them both pretty much every since they both started providing an app. I installed a GDL-39 in my plane 2 years ago. Since then I have been using Garmin Pilot when flying because the GDL-39 will talk with the Garmin Pilot app but not to ForeFlight. However, to be honest, that is the only reason I continue using the Garmin Pilot subscription. I fly now with Garmin Pilot only because the GDL-39 feeds traffic and WX to the Ipad and to my 695 GPS. If the GDL-39 would be able to send the ADSB data to ForeFllight I would never even bother with Garmin Pilot.

I find ForeFlight much much more user friendly for flight planning and over all usability. They both do all the needed tasks for planning a flight. They both have similar functionality and capabilities. It is just that ForeFlight does it with much more attention to the user experience.

What I end up doing on flights is to use ForeFlight at home to plan the flight, check WX, winds aloft on the route, set the course, time of departure, etc. Then I copy all the applicable information into Garmin Pilot, go out to the airport, plug in the Ipad into the airplane power and turn on Garmin Pilot.

So, my advice is that if you like ForeFlight keep it. It is worth it for me to continue using ForeFlight for flight planning even if I end up using Garmin Pilot while flying in order to get the traffic and WX display.

I second Steve's opinion. In flight my personal preference is:
WingX - Foreflight - Garmin. On the ground it's: Foreflight-WingX-Garmin. But there's no point now, you've locked yourself in with your hardware choices. You need the Garmin Pilot.
As to xm wx, keep it for a while and see for yourself. For me, I was happy enough with ADSB wx so I dropped xm.

From what I have heard, most that like Garmin Pilot are anti-Apple and/or pro Android as well.

I considered XM Wx but, for the price of a 2 yr subscription, the Stratus II was a no brainer. Bought it, love it.

Sell the GDL39 and get the Stratus II. If money is tight, build the Stratux (another thread) for around $120 for Wx and traffic. AHRS and GPS is coming soon.

Wing-X also works with the Stratus and Stratux.

Disclaimer: I have not used Garmin Pilot or the GDL39.

I like Garmin Pilot. Here's why. On ForeFlight, you are forced to use a sectional map presentation. They're so "busy" you can't see the forest for the trees, so to speak. Try finding waypoints or intersections on a sectional.

On garmin Pilot, you get a plan view like a Garmin 396 or 496. (I assume everyone has seen that). Its so-o-o-o-o-o much easier to flight plan AND see things that might get you in trouble, like Class D, C, B's or hot MOA's, and also to see waypoints to plot around that pesky class B, vs having to make a personal waypoint, AND---if for some reason you want to flip to a sectional---like flying the VFR arrival into Oshkosh, all you've got to do is tap your screen---its there also.

Just my 2 cents worth, but at least you have a couple of opinions.:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the opinions and advise. I'm going to probably ditch the XM and decide later if I want to keep Foreflight while I try out the Garmin Pilot (trial).

Oh----And your GDL 39 will give you free ADS B weather---and traffic----but you probably already knew that:D

Last edited: