bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
My buddie has a Garmin 396 and has a XM subscription. I have a Garmin 510 and no weather subscription. If I borrowed his XM Anteena could I plug it into my 510 and have weather on my 510 while his Anteena is connected to it?

Antenna

Haven't tried it myself but if the XM antenna (the hockey puck) connection fits your Garmin 510 and your GPS does weather using a similar set up, it should work.

The XM Reciever IS the antenna. The ser. no. on the antenna is the number XM uses for it's weather service, not the Garmin 510 serial number.

Hope this helps.

Haven't tried it myself but if the XM antenna (the hockey puck) connection fits your Garmin 510 and your GPS does weather using a similar set up, it should work.

The XM Reciever IS the antenna. The ser. no. on the antenna is the number XM uses for it's weather service, not the Garmin 510 serial number.

Hope this helps.

Concur with Mannan... the subscription goes with the antenna, and we pass antennas around our skypark community as required :D Rosie

My buddie has a Garmin 396 and has a XM subscription. I have a Garmin 510 and no weather subscription. If I borrowed his XM Anteena could I plug it into my 510 and have weather on my 510 while his Anteena is connected to it?

I think yes, I've shared antenna between 2 396s, I don't see why it wouldn't work between a 510 and 396

The answer is "maybe", depending on what type of XM receiver it is. The 396, 496, and 696 are all compatible with both the GXM 30 (greyish colored) and GXM 40 (black). The aera products are compatible with the GXM 40 only. So if you have a GXM 40, it will work on both units, but if you have a GXM 30 it will unfortunately not work with an aera unit. Hope that helps.

cheers,
- Matt

XM

The answer is "maybe", depending on what type of XM receiver it is. The 396, 496, and 696 are all compatible with both the GXM 30 (greyish colored) and GXM 40 (black). The aera products are compatible with the GXM 40 only. So if you have a GXM 40, it will work on both units, but if you have a GXM 30 it will unfortunately not work with an aera unit. Hope that helps.

cheers,
- Matt

Good to know. If you're thinking about passing the thing around a lot, it may be worth finding a reconditioned GXM-40, or one on E-bay and transfering the subscription to it.:)

I saw a reconditioned one on line a while back for $69.95. Just a thought.