swixtt

Well Known Member
If i want to load up some additional terrain data into my GPS i need to use a special card from Garmin.... is this the only way to do it?
i have the 296 which works really great for me but lacks severely in the terrain/topo info. i have the topo data, just can't get it into the Garmin.
anybody have one used if this is the method to store it?

Garmin's units will only accept their proprietary map data...The built in databases can be upgraded using their software and they are stored internal to the unit (for a price). The external card is used to store detail maps for points of interest etc using their mapsource software.

I doubt you would ever be able to load your own topo data into the 296...

If you want more resolution on your terrain data, I am afraid you will be forced to move up to one of the newer GPS's. The more expensive ones have many times more detail than the 296.

Last edited:
Garmin's units will only accept their proprietary map data...The built in databases can be upgraded using their software and they are stored internal to the unit (for a price). The external card is used to store detail maps for points of interest etc using their mapsource software.

I doubt you would ever be able to load your own topo data into the 296...

If you want more resolution on your terrain data, I am afraid you will be forced to move up to one of the newer GPS's. The more expensive ones have many times more detail than the 296.

i use the Mapsource and can retreive data without issue... when i try to push data to it that's when i complains about not enough room. so what you are saying is i can't load a garmin topo or bluechart for that matter map into a 296 regardless if i have a memory card for it? only custom waypoints, routes,etc.

If you want to load the MapSource Topo mapping data into your unit, you will need a Garmin data card to store it on. Should work fine, the folks up in Alaska do it all the time!

cheers,
mcb

No, if you are using Mapsource, and you have a big enough card for whatever you are trying to push, it will load it.

I did not realize you had Mapsource and thought you were trying to load some other form of topo data into the unit.

You will need a Garmin storage card to put the data on. They make a couple different sizes and they are not cheap for what they are. Those files can be pretty big so make sure you get one big enough for the maps you are trying to save on there.

Then there is also the issue with unlock codes and all that jaz but if you are using Mapsource now, most likely you know all that stuff.

i use the Mapsource and can retreive data without issue... when i try to push data to it that's when i complains about not enough room. so what you are saying is i can't load a garmin topo or bluechart for that matter map into a 296 regardless if i have a memory card for it? only custom waypoints, routes,etc.

Last edited:
you got it mcb, that's exactly what i want to do. no problems with other Garmin units but they use micro-sd which i have lots of... just don't have the 'special' garmin card for this one.
didn't really want to buy one and find out i couldn't do that.