Fellow RV Enthusiasts,

Please help! I'm trying to make a decision on buying an RV-4 or 8. Although not new to aviation, I'm new to this forum and RV aircraft. I have had the pleasure of flying with a couple buddies of mine in their RV-6 and 7's. Loved every minute and now I'm hooked. My only dilemma is, I think I would prefer an RV with tandem seating. Unfortunately, there isn't anyone at my airfield with an RV-4 or 8. I live in the central Florida area and fly out of Grass Roots Airpark. Is there anyone in my area that would be gracious enough to allow me to sit in their RV-4/8 or both? Needless to say, it would be greatly appreciated and would help me in a huge way by allowing me to narrow my search to a specific model.

Thanks!
Rhino

X59

If you make it to X59, Valkaria near Melbourne. I can get you a seat in both. I am renovating a -4 and also have a flying -8. PM if your interested.

what is your model of interest? send me an email thru vaf (no PM please).

edit...looks like somebody merged your threads, now I see you like the -4. Email me, and tell me your weight, which can make or break a back seat ride in a -4.

Last edited:
Either or?

I currently own a RV4 and an RV8.

In my mind this is an easy choice. If you can afford the RV8, buy it. If you can't, the RV4 is an excellent option.

Jim Thill
Rv4 N444JT
RV8 N37PK

I would say the opposite of Jim, I think it?s very subjective, you just need to check them out for yourself.

I agree with Russ.

They are both great airplanes.
If I intended most of my flying to be local for fun flights, I would probably pick the RV-4 (particularly if most of the time I would be solo).

If I intended to do quite a bit of traveling, then I would lean towards the RV-8.

Where the problem arises in this logic, is that a lot of people have never flown an airplane with the speed of RV's. They start out thinking they will always be local fun flying like they always have, but later realize that at RV speeds, trips that they would not consider making in a car for just a week-end are only a two hour flight in the RV.

Where the problem arises in this logic, is that a lot of people have never flown an airplane with the speed of RV's. They start out thinking they will always be local fun flying like they always have, but later realize that at RV speeds, trips that they would not consider making in a car for just a week-end are only a two hour flight in the RV.

Very true. After 20+ years in the Stinson at 100 mph, it took me quite a while to get the cross country mindset that the RV allows.

Anyone else with same opinion as Jim?

Absolutely. That's my opinion too.

But, as always, it depends upon what you want to do with the airplane.

Dual XC? Well I weigh 195. With a -4, a passenger and full fuel tanks put me a few pounds over the gross weight limit.

And I didn't add the baggage yet.

-8 wins

Dual acro?

Not really possible with a -4. Possible with an -8 depending upon pilot weight.

Room? -8 has a little more

Range? -8 wins hands down by a hundred miles.

Handling? A -4 that's built to spec reportedly handles better than an -8

Price? -4 wins by 20-40k

180hp C/S metal prop? -8 was designed for this. -4 was designed with a wood prop in mind.

All depends upon what you want to do with the airplane. For me, the -8 wins and I was lucky enough to be able to afford one.

I have a light weight RV-4 (887 lbs empty) in Kissimmee. You are welcome to come by and check it out, and if you like we will go for a flight.

I have a friend on the airport with an RV-8, I would be happy to it introduce you to him as well.

Sean