Jetj01

Well Known Member
Anyone know where I can get the modded pipe to replace the triangular top portion of my RV-4 roll bar with the sharp curved pipe I've seen on some RV-4s? I'd like to retain the bottom portion and replace and weld the top curved pipe...but where does one get one?

Ideas???

Jj
Building RV-4 fastback
RV-6
YAK 50
N. Texas

A case of the bends...

JJ,
A buddy of mine custom-made his curved rollbar on his -4 at a muffler shop. He had them bend the tubing in a muffler pipe bender. He welded the attachment tabs on the bottom afterward. He made a rollbar mockup, then had a local muffler shop bend the steel. The rollbar is made of 2" diameter Chrome Moly but mild steel should work fine. Since it's a fastback, the roll bar could be optional...:) Good Luck...

Smokey

Cool Beans!

Thanks Dude,

Talked to a couple of them here and they seem to think the bend i want is too extreme for their machines. Looking for an 'almost' triangle top part connecting to the standard bottom part. However i will continue to inquire. Rumor has it the Bakersfield bunch may have an answer. Cool swamp pic BTW...may have to hit it, sts, again this SnF.

BTW x 2 the RV-4 fastback would not provide much crash protection for the front seater!!!

Jj

Curved Roll Bar

Jj,
I bought a 1-1/2" Dia., 3" Radius UBend section (18 Guage Steel) from
Magnumforce Race Car Fabrication.
Item Number THU 7012
It is a really good fit to the upper section of the Roll Bar. Simply cut both at a mating angle and weld them together. Then a bit of filing and grinding and you'll hardly be able to tell the difference
It cost $7.99 + SH.
Their phone number is 408-559-6633
Their url is: www.magnumforce.com

Not being a particularily good TIG welder, I enlisted Bob Avery. He welded it up and did a great job. I'll post some pictures soon.

I noticed that you're in North Texas....I'm at Hicks. You can touch it there. Call me if you want. 817-705-6300

Last edited:
Outstanding!!!

Thanks Bill!

I flew into Hicks last Sunday right as the lousy wx rolled in to pick up some tools I found from this site...GREAT RESTAURANT! I'll take you up on that offer sometime and you have an open invite to F14 (Wichita Falls, TX) anytime! Lots of cool stuff at our airport too!

I'll order one of those bars tomorrow!

Jj
Building RV-4 fastback
RV-6
YAK 50

curved rollbar

If I remember correctly, the curved rollbar was used on early -4s but because of poor strength Van changed to the triangular design. This may or may not be a issue for you but worth considering.

P.S. I think the curved bar looks much better too.

Glenn Wilkinson
N654RV @ OKZ

Agreed...

Glen,

You are correct. From a basic physics outlook, a triangle is going to be stronger...however, if I REALLY need the full strength of a triangular roll bar in an A/C incident, there is a pretty good chance it aint going to do much good anyway in the big scheme of things. I tend to think of them more as handholds for the rear seat paseenger!

I can just hear all you "I saw how the roll bar REALLY saved this dude" gearing up to send me an email, but save it...my mind is made up! :cool:

USAF Safety School graduate and a realist!

Jj
Building RV-4 fastback
RV-6
YAK 50

More on rounded roll bars

Unfortunatley I don't have a picture (yet), but the rounded bar that I've made is only about 1" or so shorter than the original triangle...it just looks a lot better. The only downside is that I loose the flat mounting plate that's on the standard roll bar for my GPS antenna. A small price to pay for style!
I'll take a picture or two tomorrow and post it tomorrow evening.

That accident report sounds eerily like Charlie Hillard's death. The roll bar had been removed for weight savings and when he flipped his Sea Fury, he basically died of asphyxiation.

Picture of Roll Bar

Got out to the hangar and shot this picture of my "rounded" roll bar.
This was made by welding a rounded section of steel into the top of the triangle roll bar. Like I said before, it's almost as tall as the stock one, just better looking....

rollbarxe8.jpg

Nice!

Bill,

Ordered and got the shipping receipt this morning...hope mine looks that good when I'm done...thanks again!

Jj

Trivia I love it

glenn654 said:
If I remember correctly, the curved roll-bar was used on early -4s but because of poor strength Van changed to the triangular design. This may or may not be a issue for you but worth considering. P.S. I think the curved bar looks much better too. Glenn Wilkinson, N654RV @ OKZ
Glenn I love dusty old RV trivia and can't refute your comments, but I found some circumstantial evidence the curved roll bar modification we are talking about is probably just as good (may be better) than the stock shape.

click and watch me grow

Doing a quick check, the first prototype RV-4, N14RV, shown on the cover of the EAA sport mag, May 1980, had NO ROLL BAR! Actually it looks like it had a big curved bow that followed the contour of the canopy. The tube diameter looks fairly small, more just a support for the canopy than roll over protection. The prototype had an unusual canopy. The back half slid back; the front half flipped over on a hinge as today's canopy does, minus the back half.

The original roll bar would have been too weak for roll over.

I think the changes to the roll bar was just from Van's simplifying the whole canopy design, to the one piece flip over. I don't think Van ever made a curved roll bar as we are talking about. I also think the roll bar design was done for ease of production not strength. You can see where two tubes with a plate gusset is easier to make and control tolerances. What I do know about Van's aircraft circa 1980's, it was a small time deal. I suspect tube benders where not handy or cost effective. Van and Art Chard where like a two man show, unlike the small industry "Van's Aircraft" has become (for the better).

The final word on the topic may only be in Van's brain. My guess is the curved roll bar Mod has the same function and strength as the original.

Using common my eye for structure I can't see a big difference. I guess there my be higher side load stability with the "teepee" roll bar. Hard to say. I think the support structure might fail laterally before the bar fails. The steel bar is probably stronger than the attachment in general. As some one said, if you load it that much, you're in deep trouble.

That the RV-4 has done well in passenger/pilot flip accidents? I had a RV-4 but now with a RV-7 slider I think about flip over. I know of one case where a RV-6A flipped, which contributed to a fatality. On the other hand I know of a case where a pilot in a high wing Cessna flipped over during a low speed landing ground loop accident. The pilot apparently did not have his seat belt on tight enough (or on at all) and was killed. So keep those belts tight.

Last edited:
Got it, looks GREAT!

Bill,

Got my part form Magnum Force as you recommended, had it cut/welded on, looks GREAT!

This site ROCKS! Since I'm active duty AF, Doug says we don't have to donate for his site use, buy after THIS helpful hint i probably could not have found otherwise...I HAD TO DONATE!

Thanks again Bill (And Doug R)!!!

Jj
N TX

Get those wallets out...

Hey JJ, Just in time for Christmas!

Roll bars, don't leave home without them...besides, how would I push my RV4 (stock) and Rocket (curved roll bar) out of the hangar? :)

Smokey

Last edited:
JJ at Hicks

JJ,

Bob told me you were at Hicks picking up some tools...sorry I missed you.
I thought of you and your plane as we passed through Wichita Falls on our way to Santa Fe to do some much needed skiing!!!
I would have liked to have shown you my 4. I'm doing the front canopy fairing and always welcome input. I just completed the final install of the brake pedals and the firewall insulation. I've painted the "rounded" rollbar
and it's ready to re-install.

Talk to you soon.