pierre smith

Well Known Member
I need a marine Garmin GPS to go with our recent Boston Whaler acquisition.

Figured I'd give my RV friends first ops. email is pierrejs65 at yahoo.com.

or call 478 494 three 7 fife 7.

Thanks

Do you have a Garmin 496? It has a Marine mode. My friend uses his on his boat and it works great.

Yep.

I do, Jamie, in my Air Tractor and RV-10. I suppose that I could remove one or the other and buy the marine card or whatever it is they're called.

Must that come from Garmin or are there aftermarket vendors?

Thanks,

I do, Jamie, in my Air Tractor and RV-10. I suppose that I could remove one or the other and buy the marine card or whatever it is they're called.

Must that come from Garmin or are there aftermarket vendors?

Thanks,

It's built-in! No need to buy anything. Working from memory here, but I think you hold the "Mode" button and you can select the mode (Aviation, Marine or Street).

Chart overlays missing.

Jamie, I spoke with a sales lady at West Marine in Augusta and the marine G-2 card is around $140 which provides the chart overlays (for the region you request), that give you depth information from surveys, before you run aground, plus a few other features.

What's neat, is that my WX subscription will also automatically overlay if I have the WX receiver plugged in.

Thanks,

what whaler did you get? we have had 4 different models over the years.

496 is a good idea, in as much time you get to use a boat. only kidding.

send pics of the crew.

Hi Ed...a 17' Montauk, for shallow waters. I put a wanted to buy ad in the Hilton Head Craig's list and had half a dozen phone calls in two days! One of them only 24 miles away.

Do you have any experience with a 496's small screen showing depths in the channels? Do I need a bigger screen?

Best,

Pierre, I would pick up a used Marine unit. A GPS in a small boat leads a hard life. Its constantly getting exposed to water spray, rain, sun and slammed around. I don't think it would be cost effective to use a 496 only to have it fail at some point. The Marine units can be found a very low prices used. If you can find a unit used that already has the card for your area its really a money saver. If your going to be fishing some of the combined units that give you mapping and fish finder abilities are great.

George

Yep

Good advice George...even tho' the book says that the unit's waterproof.

It'd only be in the boat on occasion but I do need the 150 user waypoints of my spray customers for the Air Tractor, so a used unit it'll be.

Thanks everybody,