Flyrod

Well Known Member
If you own an EFIS that can pipe in WSI weather, You really need to think about doing just that. Recently WSI revamped their GA product line. My plane has always had WSI and it was a good service but there were a couple things that XM had that WSI did not and it was frustrating because you knew they had that capability and more . The problem was they were just not paying much attention to GA. They are the biggest private weather company in the world and GA, I guess, did not present a big target on their radar.

Well, thankfully some junior executive must have been assigned to redo the GA product line. They moved from XM to Sirius and now offer more than XM for less money. Now, for $50.00 a month you can get the most complete Aviation Weather in your plane by the same people who own the Weather channel and supply the info to over 50% of the professional weather organizations in the world. The new product line is great and covers all the bases. You also get an online account so you can plan the next days trip on your laptop in the hotel room.

I have no interest in WSI, but when a company steps up to do something really good for GA and reduces your cost, I think we need to give them a big atta boy! :D

Check out their site:

http://www.wsicorp.com/corporate/video/player.asp?vid=corpvid

Last edited:
A real commitment to GA would be to introduce products also on portable GPS units. Do they have anything yet for portables? I still find that a Garmin 396/496 with XM weather and audio represents a more effective (both cost and flexibility) solution that an XM or WSI weather sensor for a panel mount unit.

Garmin will sell a 396/496 without the XM "puck". I think they do this for the non-US market. If WSI would come out with a WSI "puck" for the 396/496, that would be a GA commitment indeed.

Before congratulating WSI, remember that they tried, with the help of Accuweather and a senator in their district, to get free weather taken off the internet (NWS, ADDS, etc.). If they had won you would have had to pay just to see Nexrad images, for instance.

The NWS is one of the few things I consider a productive use of my tax dollars.

Before congratulating WSI, remember that they tried, with the help of Accuweather and a senator in their district, to get free weather taken off the internet

Hmmmmm........ I did not know that.:mad: This new information has most definately changed my attitude. Thank goodness the little people beat the corporation and the prostitute senator on that one.

This is from the Penn Avionics page. Anyone know if WSI has "fixed" the problem with the AV300 and the Garmin "W" units?

Q: I have a WSI AV-200 data link, will this work with the new WAAS units?

A: No. The WSI AV-200 (or AV-300), used an interface box that made the WSI link look like a Garmin GDL-49. The GDL-49 drivers are no longer supported by the new WAAS units. Customers may want to consider the Garmin GDL-69 data link. Note: If you have a WSI AV-200/300 interfaced to an MX20, this will continue to operate without problem. It is only the WSI units displayed on a 430 or 530 screen that will not work.

.....They moved from XM to Sirius and now offer more than XM for less money. Now, for $50.00 a month you can get the most complete Aviation Weather in your plane by the same people who own the Weather channel and supply the info to over 50% of the professional weather organizations in the world. The new product line is great and covers all the bases. You also get an online account so you can plan the next days trip on your laptop in the hotel room.

I have no interest in WSI, but when a company steps up to do something really good for GA and reduces your cost, I think we need to give them a big atta boy! :D..
Not sure about the "more for less money" but XM is also $50 (and $30) a month and the comparison receivers from Garmin et al, less money. And still no portable or non-TSO version for us with experimentals.

AV-300 receiver (no radio entertainment) plus antenna is $4,347
AV-350 receiver (with radio entertainment) plus antenna is $5,949

GDL 69A XM receiver (with radio entertainment) plus antenna is $4,795

Before congratulating WSI, remember that they tried, with the help of Accuweather and a senator in their district, to get free weather taken off the internet (NWS, ADDS, etc.). If they had won you would have had to pay just to see Nexrad images, for instance.
Ah, that would be our now X-Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA). See Senate bill S-786.
http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/lofiversion/index.php/t31863.html