CPSONE

Well Known Member
Was about to open a bag of AN426AD4-6 rivets when some of them didn't look right. Bag labelled -6 and there were some -5's in there too as seen in photo of the sealed bag. Bag number 1906 dated 2007. Everyone makes mistakes, I am not alone...:cool:

aeo1nb.jpg

Last edited:
You are most definitely not alone! So I am finally starting to rivet my horizontal stab. Starting to look like a real airplane part now! So, I got to the point where you start doing the forward spar(inboard ribs/ spar area). Got done with my first few bits of real riveting and stood back and congratulated myself on how awesome I am and how nicely my rivets turned out. Went back to the shop next day, saw I had a couple of nose ribs laying around... odd I thought... looked at the plans and then felt sick to my stomach as I realized they were supposed to be riveted to the forward spar with the main rib... doh! I don't know what I was thinking! Needless to say, I was pretty bummed while I was drilling those same perfect rivets out :mad: And this is just the beginning for me. It is gonna be a long build :eek:

Last edited:
I've been amazed at the accuracy of 1000's of parts delivered but mistakes do happen. I have a very large bag of AN426AD3-3s that were wrongly labeled -3.5s from the wing kit. The wing skins mostly use -3.5s. Van's sent the correct ones right out but didn't want the -3s back. I'll never run out of that size!

Rivet removal

You are most definitely not alone! I was pretty bummed while I was drilling those same perfect rivets out :mad: And this is just the beginning for me. It is gonna be a long build :eek:

That's no biggie! you caught the mistake so you passed the test!
My rivet removal tool owes me nothing! If you don't have one already, I highly recommend one. Got mine from Avery tools. Makes AN470 rivet removal easy and prevents damage to the parts.:) Build on as they say...