I?m wondering if any of you have made wrong holes in any part. I?m asking it because I have made several rivet holes out of it place during the construction proccess. For example in the aileron pushrod I made a hole to fix the rod end out of the right place, then I made the correct ones and led it. The question is, do you think that is better to let it that way or put a rivet in it? Also if you think that a 40 o 30 hole out of the right place could represent a structural problem. Sorry for my poor english

Many thanks

Hello Jose,

The answer to your question depends on the part you are talking about. In many cases, an extra hole is not a big deal if it is deburred - or better yet, has a rivet installed and squeezed in. But in other places - highly stressed or critical parts - an extra hole can significantly cut in to your margin of safety. Aileron pushrods? THAT is a critical piece, and I would be very hesitant to accept less than excellent work on it. That is, of course, a judgement without much data - pictures would help!

Paul

It doesn't matter. If you notice, there are holes in parts used to align parts for manufacture, wiring runs, and lightening holes in parts to eliminate weight. Your choice - leave open or put a rivet in it.

Many thanks for your answers, you know that when you do something that you feel is not completely right you remain with a bad feeling and think that someday you will fly in a machine that have minor imperfections. I fly aeromodels and know very well Murphy?s law. If something can happen will happen.

I made the nearest drill more separated to leave more material between both ones.

008resoluciondeescritor.jpg

Possible improvement!

I made the nearest drill more separated to leave more material between both ones.

008resoluciondeescritor.jpg

Looks like a vent hole, maybe a drain hole.:cool:

Put that end at the low point (inboard) and the drain hole pointing down.

This is assuming that there are not a lot of other holes we can not see in the picture.:confused:

I'd sure hate to have to scrap a whole assembly because of a single hole but we are after all talking about a vital, critical part, crucial to your health and well-being. :eek:

Because the hole appears to be more than sufficiently spaced and is equidistant to the two nearest holes, my instincts tell me that the errant hole is not much of an issue.

ei8u3k.jpg

However, like most amateurs who post their thoughts on this forum I must strongly emphasize that mine is but an untrained personal opinion. I know nothing about the potential long term ramifications of vibration and resonances acting upon it. Also, in the combat aircraft production environment I came from, shop experience taught me that any unused hole including tooling holes are to be routinely plugged except for of course, drain holes. Obviously, we are not bound to the same precise assembly specifications as combat aircraft and because of this hole's unique location, cannot readily be plugged either.

Learning never stops. The way I see it, you have three possible choices here. Option 1: Ignore condition and move on. Option 2: Scrap and replace assembly. Option 3: I am curious if it is possible (given its half on-half off location adjacent to a dissimilar alloy) if it is advisable or even advantageous to have the hole plugged by someone skilled in aluminum welding or if it is simply better to just leave well enough alone. Thoughts from any welders and/or structural engineers out there?

I?m not an experienced builder. Just ordered my empennage today actually.
I know im going to make mistakes like this as well.

With that said, I would replace it.

I don?t think there is any question that the part is weaker then if the mistake didn?t exist and if that part fails you?re going to have a hard time to say the least.

With the extra hole combined with the replacement rivet being closer to the edge, I wouldn?t run it personally.

I may be over critical, as im sure that is common in new builders.

Learning never stops. The way I see it, you have three possible choices here. Option 1: Ignore condition and move on. Option 2: Scrap and replace assembly. Option 3: I am curious if it is possible (given its half on-half off location adjacent to a dissimilar alloy) if it is advisable or even advantageous to have the hole plugged by someone skilled in aluminum welding or if it is simply better to just leave well enough alone. Thoughts from any welders and/or structural engineers out there?

There's also a Fourth option Rick - drop a note to Van's with the picture, and see what the engineers responsible for the design say about it. Contrary to (sometimes) popular opinion, they don't always say "No"....;)

Paul