mark manda

Well Known Member
anybody wrinkle their bottom wing skin trying to screw in the tie down rings from Van's?

I almost did. :eek: someone was mentioning this a couple mos ago? 7A QB wings.

I am thinking that a spot of weld about 1/4" up from the base of the threads will stop it in time.

I suppose that when the time comes, I may do that. This way, if I toss the rings to a non flying friend they won't screw them in too deeply.

:) CJ

I tapped it just deep enough so that the threads stop just an 1/8 inch from the end. (i'll make it sound like i planned it.)

Actually I was surprised to find that the bar stock with a small hole in it was not drilled or tapped. but it shows on the plans that they need to be 3/8" 16.

and since I couldn't see; the eye bolt grabbed the skin when a dumb s... (me)started screwing it in.... :eek:

I don't see the issue

I don't see what the big deal is. Yeah, my skin would get crunched a bit if I threaded the rings all the way in. So I don't.

Once the rope or chain is hooked up to it, it's not like it's gonna rotate in any further on its own. And in my opinion, having all but a few threads engaged in there is plenny-good.

What's the big deal? I must be missing something.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (751 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

it depends tom- the rings that Van's sell are the ones with shoulders.

So, in my case-- I actually need to grind down the threads another 1/4". Then I would be closer to the skin for looks. and they would bottom out before touching skin.

I guess the bottom line is-- the mount needs tapping (in the wings) and everything depends on the length of your newly tapped threads.

HTH mark