ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I have RHM40E plugs on my O-360-A1F6D. I need to buy the wrenches for both the lead cap and the plug. The lead cap is 3/4-20, and I think I need a 7/8" wrench for that. What size wrench do I need for the plug? Should I get a socket instead so that I can torque the plugs in?

Thanks,

Plugs

You will need a Aircraft Plug socket for the plugs themselves. Top and bottom plugs may need a wrench also depending on your baffles, exhaust configuration.

You will also need a 7/16" to hold the wires where they enter the cap. That keeps them from twisting and damaging the plug wires.You will also need some type of anti seize for the plug threads. Small bottles with a tiny brush are standard.

Typically a 3/4", a 7/8, and a 7/16 " are in my hands when I approach plugs.

And of course, the old adage: " if you drop a plug once, drop it twice: in the garbage!" It cracks the interior insulator and causes trouble later for you.

You will need a Aircraft Plug socket for the plugs themselves.

You can find a deep socket that will fit the plug, but be aware most of the sockets available do not have a large enough interior bore to clear the threaded top of the spark plug.

I took an old spark plug to the hardware store, and tried a couple of different sockets ----- finally found one that worked at Ace, or True Value, dont remember which right now. Sears was a no go, all their sockets were too small in that area.

You will also need a 7/16" to hold the wires where they enter the cap.

Typically a 3/4", a 7/8, and a 7/16 " are in my hands when I approach plugs.

Yep, hold the fitting on the end of the wire with the 7/16", and loosen the "B" nut with the other one.

Also, get a bunch of sealing washers, ACS sells them by the hundred. I never re use a spark plug sealing washer.

Also, get a bunch of sealing washers, ACS sells them by the hundred. I never re use a spark plug sealing washer.

Can you tell me where to find them on ACS? I've searched for spark plug washer, sealing washer, spark plug seal, plug seal, etc...

Thanks,

I never re use a spark plug sealing washer.

I don't want to pick on Mike cuz I still want him to run for president, but I reuse copper plug gaskets amost always. I only chuck 'em when they are deformed or totally torqued out. I can't see any reason to throw them out. After half a dozen torque-ups or a few years of heat cycling they do harden, but every mechanic has been taught to anneal them and reuse. I keep a stringer full of annealed gaskets and one of "as removed" gaskets. I'll occasionaly swap out one that doesn't look good or if they feel hard I'll swap the whole set. In a pinch, you can anneal one with a cigarette lighter, so its no big process. Of course Champion recommends replacing them because they make more money. Your shampoo bottle also says to put 2 ounces in your hand and repeat. If you want them pretty, then stick them back on the plug before you wire wheel the base threads. You all do wire wheel the threads before anti-seize don't you?

Thanks!!

I don't want to pick on Mike cuz I still want him to run for president

Dave, thanks for the vote of confidence:D.

As to the reusing issue, I am just following what a long time A/P buddy has taught me to do.

New washer on the oil screen plug also.

Mike, thats okay, but I think I know where this came from. From the archaic period up through the 1980's we were taught to anneal and reuse the gaskets. Somewhere in there some "marketing" happened at Champion and they recommended repacement. So, younger mechanics will say "you gotta change them", and us older guys say, "why are you throwing away those good gaskets?" Marketing has influenced/infected everything in our lives to the point where we've been overwhelmed by hype. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and you really don't need a 24k Dunhill to light it with. Airplane builders (like guitar buyers Doug) have to watch out for "deluxitis". That's why I have a stack of perfect custom guitars and one super beat up tele.

I hear ya...

Airplane builders (like guitar buyers Doug) have to watch out for "deluxitis". That's why I have a stack of perfect custom guitars and one super beat up tele.

My 1977 Epiphone FT-140 beater gets played more than my Taylor and Gibson's, and it sure cost less!! :)

I'm just kind of a lower primate with a toolbox, and when some of the more evolved guys on this site post really good tech stuff I actually get stunned. But, I do know how to clean and service spark plugs.