AndyRV7

Well Known Member
I think I need to pick up a second headset now. I seem to like (and asked about) the Halo's and the like a while back but before I buy I had one more question. Do they stay in place? That is, does the headset (and mic) try to move all the time based on the fact that they are just hanging over your ears. Or because the band part keeps getting hit by your coat collar or whatever? I like the fact that my DC's stay put and I can pull on the mic boom to move it away from my mouth, without having to hold the earmuff while doing it. I'm just wondering what the wrap-arounds are like in this regard.

Thanks!! Andy

Andy - there have been several threads on this topic, including a couple of very interesting ones on how to build your own ClarityAloft-like headset. Yes, the gang here is very innovative!

To answer your question, the movement of the Halo is something I've found to be fairly minimal, but I make this statement with one major qualification. It doesn't move IF you have the cord clip attached to your shirt collar, shoulder seam or something similar. If you don't have the cord attached to your body then my experience has shown the mic position will change. I've got into the habit of clipping the cord to my left shoulder or the left side of the collar of my shirt and the operating norm for me now is to expect to never have to adjust the mic position unless I have to move it to take a drink of water or to eat something. It just stays put. After almost 30 years of being a fan of the big green mellon squasher headsets I am still amazed at the comfort and sound quality of the Halo.

Oh yeah, one other thing I should mention... The earplugs on the Halo don't last forever. Mine are now a few months old and need to be replaced. Do a search on the board here and you'll find a discussion started by Paul "Ironflight" on how to make your own replacement earplugs for peanuts. There are several fabrication techniques discussed so I'm sure that anybody who can build an airplane is highly overqualified for the task of making replacement earplugs. ;-)

That's good info. Thanks! I think I remember seeing a 30 day trial at one of the manufactures. I guess it is going to start to get back to tolerable temperature aloft soon, but it would be nice to have a headset your could still pull a hat over! Ah, but you are Canadian, so I don't have to tell you.

Its funny you mentioned the homemade earplugs. It struck me that they looked exactly like the cheap yellow ones you get at Home Depot, only with a hole in the middle for the actual phones.

I think I am going to make the investment.

Thanks again.

QT Halo

For the money, the QT Halo is a great choice. I found them to be very comfortable, to the point that I forgot I was wearing them.

They do have a 30 day money-back guarantee, which I was unfortunate enough to need to use. I had a conflict issue with the radio/intercom combination I was using and the headset squealed on transmit. It worked fine with any other radios or intercoms, but was an anomaly to the plane that I fly most often. I was very bummed, because I really liked the headset.

I've often wondered why we don't have cordless headsets...a la Bluetooth or something like that. Why, in 2009, am I still tethered to the plane via century-old technology like phono jacks and plugs?

I've often wondered why we don't have cordless headsets...a la Bluetooth or something like that. Why, in 2009, am I still tethered to the plane via century-old technology like phono jacks and plugs?

Good question.

Thanks for the responses. I think I would have purchased them today but QT is closed.

Do these come with any kind of reasonably sturdy case (or any case at all?)?

What was your radio/intercom setup?

I had a conflict issue with the radio/intercom combination I was using and the headset squealed on transmit. It worked fine with any other radios or intercoms, but was an anomaly to the plane that I fly most often. I was very bummed, because I really liked the headset.

I'm curious to know which radio/intercom system did you experience this with? I have an Icom A200 with a Sigtronics Sport 200, which we switched to the 400 intercom after the 200 died. We've had our share of squealing pigs on transmit with this setup. Some headsets work great such as my 30-3G's. Others not so good. Almost tossed one of dad's headsets out at 7500 over Burro Creek on the way to Kingman. Should of done it. I never liked that set anyways.:D

What about those that have a good working system? What are you using?

Last edited: