Tom Martin

Well Known Member
I just had my Advanced Flight System 3500 updated with the latest software including mapping and approach plates. The map is a lot better then I had expected; very user friendly with an update speed that is faster then my Garmin 496. The airport information is easy to find and the approach charts are simply awesome on this large screen. I would say the chart is almost twice the size it would be in the paper version. Only half of it shows on the screen but the knob very easily scrolls down with no delay. With my 50 year old eyes it is nice to finally get something on an EFFIS that is easy to read.
When you push the NRST,(nearest airport), button it gives a list of those airports as you click down the list a line is placed between your current position and a distance is displayed. For me this is a big step forward in situational awareness versus just having a bearing and distance.
The update in software adds a nice feature to the knob on the right. Now when you click the knob a list of "bugs" appears. You simply keep clicking until you get the one you want. This will speed up the process and make the bug feature much more useful. The altitude bug, for example, gives you an audio alert about 200 feet before you reach your target and another alert when you get to altitude, ether rising or descending. Then if you vary more then 200 feet you get another audio alert. I could not get this function to work with the previous software version and with the new knob function I know I will use this feature on most flights.
Service at the home of Advanced Flight Systems was again a very pleasant experience. The turn around time was less then 24 hours and there are a number of people that can walk you through the learning curve.
A big thank you to the Rob and Jennifer Hickman, their staff, and to Stein Air for gently nudging me in the AFS direction.

afs

Good news. Can't wait to see this on the 3400, smaller but still useful and legible I hope. Thanks for post. The AFS family and employees are superb. Bill

I just had my Advanced Flight System 3500 updated with the latest software including mapping and approach plates. The map is a lot better then I had expected; very user friendly with an update speed that is faster then my Garmin 496.

Nice report. But if you were deciding between the AFS map option and the 696, who would win?

Is the display of approach charts geo referenced?

I have the Garmin 695 and the approach charts are not geo referenced and the print is on the small size without zooming. Twice the size of the paper charts sounds pretty appealing.

Bob Axsom

Bob
I have no experience with the Garmin 696 but I know that this srcreen is larger. At this time the unit does not have Canadian Charts but I am hopeful that AFS will get this done before too long. My trip down to the SARL race in Alabama in three weeks should give me a chance to see how these charts really work.