MS19087

Well Known Member
Friend
Mounting a terminal block under the floor pan (under pilot's seat) - it will serve as a junction for my wing lighting wire termination (NAV & Landing lights only). I want to mount this block flat on the inside of the lower fuseluge skin. Should I just use a glob of Proseal to adhere it or should I consider drilling/dimpling the skin using something like #6 through hardware. My gut says don't drill - just adhere w/ Proseal . . . comments?? Thanks!

First, it is my understanding that you should not mount anything directly on the floor. The drumming of the skins may cause some cracking where the item is mounted. Either mount it to a rib or make a small platform.

As for the proseal, great stuff but if you every need a larger / different block, you won't be able to remove the old one.

When installing systems, always think about future maintenance.

No one is a bigger fan of proseal than I am and I've put the substance to use in places not thought of or done in other RV's. However, in this case I'd be inclined to follow the advice outlined in Section 14 of AC-43.13.

I am with Bill on this one, I would not mount it on the floor as the bottom skin is very thin and can crack. I would also use screw just for maintenance and feature changes.

Mehrdad
RV7A - IO360M1B

I'd be more inclined to mount it to a rib with screws. As good a sealant as Proseal is, it isn't really intended as an adhesive.

Here's my solution:http://adap.com/images/PC020062.JPG

I should have made the flanges a bit shorter as there isn't much room between the blocks and the seat pan. The base fits snuggly between the ribs and is attached by 6 screws to nutplates on the base in the photo.

Jim

Proseal for me too. The block weighs almost nothing and has no structural purpose. You could probably use velcro and it woud be ok. If the wires are postitioned and tied correctly with no stress even if it were to come loose it isn't going anywhere. Sometimes it's easy to get carried away on the little stuff while we short cut the important stuff :confused:

On Rib

I screwed a terminal block for the lights etc to a rib under the seat.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1

3M VHB tape

In the trucking business, and specifically refrigerated trailer construction, 3m VHB tape in varying thicknesses is used for structural, load bearing skin attachment. Stuff is like magic if surfaces are prepared even casually.

I used 0.040" VHB to adhere my terminal block to the floor (and other stuff), but I'm using mine for strictly control stick connections. I do have a 16ga ground strap on the block connected to the nearest seat rib, about 4" away, so it's not like the block is going anywhere if the tape lets go.

So that's my advice, glue it, stick it, Velcro, Dual-Lock, whatever, but think about the secondary restraint. Use a FMEA approach - find the primary failure modes and make them go away, or backstop them to irrelevance.

As always, just my $0.02.

Rick 90432

What would I do?
I would use screws rather than Pro Seal. Hardware can be undone, is a rigid, mechanical connection, and would give me peace of mind. I wouldn't have that re-occurring thought in my head while flying, "I wonder how that Pro Seal is holding up..."
Just what I would do.

3M VHB

If you've never used VHB tape you need to check it out. It is incredibily strong. I used some mount a 496 swivel base and it worked great. I'm also using it as as a "temporary" means of mounting my rudder trim wedge, that is until I get around to putting on on with proseal.

I'm not stating an opinion as to whether it the right product relative to this thread but if get some you'll probably find a use for it.