JonJay

Well Known Member
RV6, IO-360 180HP, HTZ BF, 3000', 40df OAT,
Conditions have been beautiful and perfectly smooth air. So, although I tested before, never on a day as perfect as yesterday.
I went full power to climb to altitude, leveled off, and just let things ride at about 2550rmp. WOT, full rich, full RPM. The ship accelerated to 180KTAS, essentially just shy of VNE (RV6 is 210mph), and was still accelerating although it seemed to be about maxed out as the rate of acceleration had declined.
My 6 is bone stock from a construction standpoint with no mods and I do not consider it particularily fast. However, it is obviously fast enough as it can reach VNE at a relatively low altitude in level flight.
Just thought I would share. I love this thing!!

You know what?

You should bring your airplane to the Rocket 100 air race in Taylor Texas Saturday morning November 17, 2007. There is no entry fee and I'm sure you would have a good time. The race is defined at www.sportairrace.org under Calendar of Events and Rocket 100. The race is over a triangular course of 100 miles and there is a class called RV Blue for the 360 cu. in. engines. You should do very well. I keep trying to modify my RV-6A to make it faster but I can barely reach the speed you are getting at 2700+ rpm and I'm flying at 1000 ft MSL. Currently there is an RV-6, RV-6A, RV-8 and an RV-7A in the RV- Blue Class. Selfishly, We would love to have you there to expand the RV entry field but I think you would have a good time.

Bob Axsom

Thanks for the invite. It sounds like great fun. I really enjoy reading your posts Bob and all of the things you are trying. I doubt I will be able to make it down but you never know.
I guess I just assumed that most of the Rv's can reach VNe in level flight out of the box when powered with the max. horsepower designed for and pushing hard. I believe the BF Hartzel is a big win.

Excellent

RV6, IO-360 180HP, HTZ BF, 3000', 40df OAT,
Conditions have been beautiful and perfectly smooth air. So, although I tested before, never on a day as perfect as yesterday.
I went full power to climb to altitude, leveled off, and just let things ride at about 2550rmp. WOT, full rich, full RPM. The ship accelerated to 180KTAS, essentially just shy of VNE (RV6 is 210mph), and was still accelerating although it seemed to be about maxed out as the rate of acceleration had declined.
My 6 is bone stock from a construction standpoint with no mods and I do not consider it particularily fast. However, it is obviously fast enough as it can reach VNE at a relatively low altitude in level flight.
Just thought I would share. I love this thing!!
Vans TOP SPEED Spec for sea level is 210 mph, congrats. That is excellent. You said 3,000' feet indicated or was that density altitude? Temp was below standard, still you where moving.

You have a Hartzell BA prop? If so, why 2550 RPM? It's as good as any. It is out of the +2,600 rpm limit for take-off only. Why not 2,600 rpm or even 2,700 rpm for a short top speed run? You may pick up a few MPH?

Last edited:
Vans TOP SPEED Spec for sea level is 210 mph, congrats. That is excellent. You said 3,000' feet indicated or was that density altitude? Temp was below standard, still you where moving.

You have a Hartzell BA prop? If so, why 2550 RPM? It's as good as any. It is out of the +2,600 rpm limit for take-off only. Why not 2,600 rpm or even 2,700 rpm for a short top speed run? You may pick up a few MPH?

Yes, its the BA. I will double check on the 2550, I think I might have been at 2600. I have not downloaded that flight yet but will check. Altitude was indicated. I will adjust for temp and see where that falls.
I am by no means an expert at this as many of those hear are, so take my numbers with a bit of a grain of salt. Still, yes, I was moving along and it is good to know that it performs as advertised. I was really throwing this out there to see if my experience was typical or if someone was going to say "hey" what are you smoking? I did learn something however as I was unaware of the RPM limit on the BA.