ron sterba

Well Known Member
I noticed a few forums about your 1st 40 hrs with wheel pants on setting up the numbers. What does WOT and STATIC refer to?

Thanks Ron

WOT = Wide Open Throttle

I'm with Jason and not sure what STATIC refers to. Although I'll bet as soon as someone tells us, I'll be slapping my forehead.

Last edited:
I would presume that STATIC in this case is max. rpm when stationary - aka Static RPM

Or WOT with the brakes on...:)

Gil's correct...

On a fixed pitch prop installation, the static RPM is the max the engine will turn while you're stationary. As you accelerate, the oncoming rush of air allows the prop to turn faster and faster, until you eventually get to cruise flight. If your prop is optimized for cruise, you should see redline RPMs or slightly higher for this reason. Our -6A with 180 Lyc and a three bladed Catto, optimized for max speed only turned 2200 static but went to around 2750 wide open for 201 MPH true!

A few more abbreviations are shown in a new thread for you newer RV guys.

Best,

Pierre
thanks for the WOT and Static info. I saw a thread about the guy flying without wheel pants on his 1st 40 hrs and the comment was made about doing the #'s for the calculations for performance and thats when the WOT and Static came to light. But do you think I could find those threads again!! Course NOT! Did finish the horizontal stabilizer and elevators and trim cable today for the final install. I started the vert stab attach points then went home. RonQB9A