CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am about to mount my YIO 540 and there is a AN823-8 fitting near the oil filter for the line to the oil cooler. I have that fitting on order and its not likely to arrive before my planned engine mount day. Is this fitting difficult enough to reach that it makes sense to postpone mounting the engine until its installed? The RV10 plans show it installed before mounting but isn't clear if it's hard to do after its on the mount.

Wait

Sorry,
misunderstood, I thought you were talking about the oil pressure fitting.
I can't remember any of the others being a problem to install.

Last edited:
Oil Cooler mounting

Can't say about that engine, but I had no trouble mounting the fittings for an IO360 M1B after the engine was mounted. The oil pressure fitting, on the other hand, cannot be mounted with the engine mounts in place.

Good luck
Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

Here is the illustration of the fitting. Just below and to the right of the oil filter. Listed as a AN816-8 in this copy, but has been changed to AN823-8 in a new set of plans.

Capture-5.jpg

Good to go

Looking at someone's installation picture it seems that you are good to go.
No parts of the engine mount will interfere.

IMG_1460.JPG

Well, that helped and hurt. Just need to figure out if I am going to be able to get a wrench in there to turn the fitting once the engine is mounted.

You will

You may have to remove the magneto but everyone else including me have been able to do it with the engine installed.
Don't plan on being able to use a torque wrench though just good and snug
and clocked to accomodate the oil hose.