Rick_A

Well Known Member
I'll be starting to lay the glass for the for the windshield / canopy gap fairing (ie. on the slider rollbar). I decided to add a couple of layers carbon fiber tape to the lay up but I've not used CF before.

Are there any special considerations when working with CF? Is it a lot more difficult to trim and sand after it's in place?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Carbon Fiber

I'm not an expert in composites but I do know there are concerns with the carbon coming in contact with aluminum. They are fairly far apart on the galvanic potential chart which means you could create a battery and thus have galvanic corrosion of your aluminum. Now they tell me if you are certain you can keep the two apart with the resin or some other insulator, it makes a very strong lightweight matrix.

That's probably worth what you paid for it...nothing. But you did ask for some "special considerations." Sounds like you may be adding the CF to a layup you've already made which would seem to insulate the CF from the Al.

I have seen some recent photos of an RV with a Carbon Fiber instrument panel, so maybe the concern is not that great.

Let us know how your layup turns out because I am interested in using some CF on my RV.

Don

Carbon Fiber

The only real issue you'd have with Carbon to Aluminum would be if they were not bonded. They layup process is exactly the same.

In your case, use a layer or two of glass then carbon and top off with glass. No problems.

I have a carbon fiber panel in my 7. I made a blank with 2 layers of 8 oz glass cloth then 2 layers of carbon fiber on a 45. This is simply a blank over the Vans panel and is for looks only. It is about 3 mils thick.

No CF to aluminum

For this application the carbon fiber won't be any where near the alumimum skin. I already have glass on the skin around the windshield base and I'm going to start the lay up over the rollbar with glass also.

I'm mostly interested in "workability" characteristics.

carbon fiber tends to work easier than glass for the same weight cloth. the main drawback is not being able to see through it, you have to have good technique in your layup so you don't get bubbles.

other than opacity, i think it is easier to work than glass. I've got a fair bit of composite experience (did some time at the lancair buildshop this winter).

there is a fair bit of parts in lancair kits that have a mix of e glass and carbon, and always it seems the carbon is the outer layer (most visible) I think that is mostly just for pleasing your eyes though.

edit- trimming and sanding is about the same, with the proper tools. the carbon might tend to leave longer slivers in the edge when you cut it, so watch out for those.

I'll be starting to lay the glass for the for the windshield / canopy gap fairing (ie. on the slider rollbar). I decided to add a couple of layers carbon fiber tape to the lay up but I've not used CF before.

Are there any special considerations when working with CF? Is it a lot more difficult to trim and sand after it's in place?

Thanks.

CF? Why? This is an easy lay up with fiberglass...?

Why CF ...

CF? Why? This is an easy lay up with fiberglass...?

My windshield and canopy didn't match very well so I had to buildup some glass & flox just to get the lines to match. They match well now but I don't want to build up any more layers then I have to. I figure the CF will let me make the layup thinner without having to sacrifice strength.

Be very careful handling carbon fiber. Wear gloves, eye protection and facemask or respirator at all times when cutting or sanding. A small sliver when sanding is not only painful but can travel around inside the body causing havoc. Any dust or particles in the eye or inhaled are also very bad news. Don

When sanding, you should keep the surfaces damp (with water spray) to minimize the dust.

The biggest problem is that very small slivers can separate off of edges and surfaces, and they can be extremely sharp and stiff. Graphite composites do not sand/machine very well compared to fiberglass. Other problems involve the coatings on the fibers- it has to be compatible with the resin used.

Carbon Fibre versus Regular Glass

Hello All
If you want to make a STONG glass piece use cabon fibre. If you don't have to use regular glass. Working with carbon fiber is harder. So why make riveting your brains out harder!:cool: