Cfrisella

Well Known Member
Hey all. What's the best way to work inside the tail. It's time to run the rudder cables and I'm worried about crawling that far in. Obviously need some support, but would like to hear some success stories. Thanks

I used plywood work platforms that were given me by a previous RV-8 builder when I did my -8. With the -3, we tried something different - we filled the bottom of the fuselage between the bulkheads with moving blankets, right up to the level of the bulkhead openings. Add another layer or two on top of those, through the bulkheads,and you will distribute your loads very evenly over the belly skin. It's worked well so far, and the -3 is VERY tiny inside, so I was afraid of damage just due to being so closed in, and elbowing the skin. No damage to date, and much more comfy than hard plywood...

Paul

Worked for me...

To gain efficient access in the -8, I referred to DWG 42:
30iwbvq.jpg

2w68huq.jpg

Don't forget support beneath the fuselage!

I used the plywood temporary floors also, with some foam padding and blankets thrown on for comfort. Make sure you support the tail from the floor, unless you want to do a wheelie in your shop when you start crawling aft :eek:. I used a black and decker workmate below the tail with a 4" blue styrene foam block between the workmate and the thicker aftmost skin. It was wedged in tight, initially and compressed just a bit when I crawled back, and adequately spread out the load while the hull remained stable.

plywood as well...

used 1/2 inch and set on bulkheads. Added another piece to make step at aft baggage bulkhead so aft fuse plywood rested on that. Worked well and no damage to anything. Alot of grunting and groaning though:)
plywoodplatform.jpg

Lots of phone books stacked above the bulkheads and then a blanket thrown over the top worked well for me.

Cardboard Template

To find the right shape for my plywood temporary floor I first cut out the shape on heavy corrugated cardboard, and trimed and adjusted until I was satisfied. It does stink when you drop things and they roll under the plywood as you are laying on it.