DarrylFoster

I'm New Here
Just starting my 7A build. After completing the practice projects, I noticed a lot of surface scratches. Should I line the top of my work benches with any type of padding to help prevent these during the actual build?

_________
Darryl Foster
RV-7A

carpet top

I did mine in an indoor/outdoor short loop carpet and worked great with out scratching the alum. and the drilled bits picked up with the hand vac.

Some do, most probably don't. If you're going to paint the exterior, all of the skins will need to be scuffed before painting. If you're priming the interior parts, you'll also probably be scuffing them to get the primer to stick.

I use that white melamine-coated particle board from the big boxes for a table top, with no scratches. It makes excellent work table tops.

But I also leave most of the blue on the skins - small parts get it totally removed, of course.

Dave

Foam Pad

I like to use tool drawer lining pads or other thin foam rubber if I need to put a skin on the tabletop. The tool drawer liner also keeps parts from slipping.

You can also use some rug non-slip underlayment of this kind. easy to shake off after drilling.

The-Original-Gorilla-Grip-TM-Non-Slip-Area-Rug-Pad-Made-In-USA-Available-in-3x5-5x8-4x6-2x4-2x8-6x9-8x10-8x11-9x12-10x14-12x15-Rounds-and-Squares-Extra-Cushion-Locks-Rugs-In-Place-Hard-Floor-Protector-0-5.jpg

I just used some old bath towels laid down on the workbenches. Easy to clean, just throw them in the washing machine.

In the 70's it was recommended to use cardboard with one "side skin" absent. The chips from drilling would go in the cracks and minimize scratching.

Then I "found" (real) astroturf. Not the indoor-outdoor grass, the original, like a small cup of fingers, about 5/8" tall.

Excellent weight bearing and nil scratches because the chips have great room to fall. [Link to Amazon image]

ref=sr_1_1

Excuse the link if it's not up to par. First time trying an attachment and I'm late for dinner!

Towells

I just used some old bath towels laid down on the workbenches. Easy to clean, just throw them in the washing machine.

Same here. When the wood surface gets rough, I spread spackling compound all over to fill in the holes and cracks and run a random orbital over. Smooth as silk.
Don't overthink. It's the enemy of completion.

I use moving blankets..

..bought for cheap at Harbor Freight. They come in smaller sizes that are perfect for my tables, will only a little overhang. These also come in handy when back-riveting on the bench. You can double up the blanket and put the back-riveting plate next to the fold, which keeps the work flat across the back-riveting plate.