aarvig

Well Known Member
How level do your workbenches have to be for a prepunched kit? The reason I ask is I just built a modified EAA 1000 workbench (3X6) and thanks to the absolute absence of level lumber the last foot of one corner curves down about 1/16th of an inch. Do I need to rip this sucker all apart or will this not affect my build?

They don't need to be level

...that's part of the beauty of the pre-punched kit. Have fun and don't sweat it.

How level do your workbenches have to be for a prepunched kit? The reason I ask is I just built a modified EAA 1000 workbench (3X6) and thanks to the absolute absence of level lumber the last foot of one corner curves down about 1/16th of an inch. Do I need to rip this sucker all apart or will this not affect my build?

Well, if you really want to be fussy about it, due to the way that wood constantly absorbs and looses moisture, then the you will always be striving to keep you workbench perfectly level.

However, since your workbench already quite close to level as is, then you can probably just use something like one or two sheets of folded paper to obtain that last little bit of correction.

This is what I did with my work bench (which is 4' X 12') and I checked it with my digital level, and it has worked fine.

Last edited:
Even with the older kits, a level workbench isn't particularly important. What is important is to have a nice flat workbench. The flat workbench is needed for assembly of the ailerons and other control surfaces.

However, since your workbench already quite close to level as is, then you can probably just use something like one or two sheets of folded sheet to obtain that last little bit of correction.

This is what I did with my work bench (which is 4' X 12') and I checked it with my digital level, and it has worked fine.

Yep, just shim it. I've built several of those tables in different sizes and I don't think any of them are completely level with all four on the floor. On hind sight, I wish I'd have built them about 4 or 6 inches higher. Having them a little higher would be easier on my back for a lot of tasks.

Just wait until you try to drill a rivet hole on the center line! ;)

Last edited:
I built two but

Sears has an 8' X 2' butcher block table for $200. I use the two I built for a tool bench and for my DRDT-2. I build on the Sears table.

The curve is actually in the table top not in the legs. The longitudinal support 2X4 is bowed down at the end making the table curve down with it a total of 1/16th of an inch.

When I built my table, I used 2x8s for the support rails and 4x4s for the legs. I used 6 legs instead of 4 and put 1/2" blind nuts in the bottom of the legs and used 1/2" bolts for levelers. The bed was 3/4" plywood (4x8') drywall screwed to the rails. I then laid a 4x8 sheet of particle board (3/4") on the ply and fastened it with screws. The top layer was a 3/4" MDF board. The MDF board is very nice to drill into and clecoe parts to the table for assembly.

This table turned out to be incredibly flat and easy to level. It may be more than needed, but a very nice, very straight, airplane was born on it.

Roberta

When I built my table, I used 2x8s for the support rails and 4x4s for the legs. I used 6 legs instead of 4 and put 1/2" blind nuts in the bottom of the legs and used 1/2" bolts for levelers. The bed was 3/4" plywood (4x8') drywall screwed to the rails. I then laid a 4x8 sheet of particle board (3/4") on the ply and fastened it with screws. The top layer was a 3/4" MDF board. The MDF board is very nice to drill into and clecoe parts to the table for assembly.

This table turned out to be incredibly flat and easy to level. It may be more than needed, but a very nice, very straight, airplane was born on it.

Roberta
How's your boat coming along?

It's still in the dreaming phase, but, I bet my table would float, at least for a moment.:p

Seriously, Rich and I are planning a move to AZ this year and I may resurrect the plans after the move.

Roberta

Planning my bench now. Would this work? 2 x 6 x 38" at Sams Club. The metal legs would be easy to put casters on to move around. Otherwise it would be easy to build the EAA tables.
navigate.do