Barneybc12d

Well Known Member
I have not had luck searching this question.
How high should I build the work table? The chapter 100 plans call for 33 3/4", others have said elbow height. What has been your height experience?

I am building a 14. I built the standard height bench as you described. I wound up building some removable leg extentions that raise the top 8 inches for some of the work. Were I to do it again, I would also design it to be 6 inches lower at times.

It's useful to have several work areas available. I'm 6'1" and my workshop has a 2'x8' bench @44", a 2'x8' bench @ 40" and a movable 3'x6' @ 36".

bench height

I have not had luck searching this question.
How high should I build the work table? The chapter 100 plans call for 33 3/4", others have said elbow height. What has been your height experience?

I built three the height you mention. Two were the EAA plan. There was leftover plywood so I built a third using the leftover and the same concept and height. The third is for all the electric bench tools and the vice. They get used every day and a lot of though went into where tools were mounted.
The two EAA benches are exactly the same so they can go end to end or beside each other for a consistent flat surface. I drilled them for several tools and jigs such as the bending brake and leading edge rolling j bolts.
I think it comes down to comfort. I'm short at 5'6" and they work great for me. I don't have to bend over or squat to work. A rolling chair is perfect to work on stuff on the bench while seated. With my busted leg, I've been using the chair quite a bit.

37" works for me. Like you, I studied the matter before building my bench. Elbow height is a good reference. I'm 5'9". To me, nothing is worse than working while having to bend forward just slightly. It's a back killer.

I'm 6' tall and built all my tops (3) the same height so I could put them together if I wanted. 36" feels about right for me but thats just me. I also put everything on wheels. Also makes it easy to roll them outside and clean the workspace with a blower.

I'm 6'0" and for years have been building my work benches and work tables 38" high. That's the perfect working height for me ... way more ergonomic (for me) than the standard 36'.

I'm 5' 8" and have two at 36" and one at 34.5". The lower one is too low.

I used to have one at 38" and it was too high.

Dave

A little off the bench height topic, but right on the aching back aspect. I have a quick build 7 and thought it was too far along to worry about a rotisserie . . . WRONG! Having set for many an hour working on little wires in holes down between my legs and under the panel. I really wish I had built a rotisserie for the wiring of the panel and fuse. YMMV as you may be more flexible than me.

Happy Building!

Last edited:
If one bench, I would go for elbow height. If more than one, I would do what a friend at klvk did (xblueh2o on VAF) and build one that is a few inches lower for things that require downward force or vertical tool use like back riveting, cutting with a stanley knife, removing a stubborn screw or the thousand other things I always did while standing on a stool wishing I had a lower bench:D

I like the multiple bench/ multiple height approach. Be sure one bench is a bruiser and mount the big honkin' vice to that one.

Last edited:
A little off the bench height topic, but right on the aching back aspect. I have a quick build 7 and thought it was too far along to worry about a rotisserie . . . WRONG! Having set for many an hour working on little wires in holes down between my legs and under the panel. I really wish I had built a rotisserie for the wiring of the panel and fuse. YMMV as you may be more flexible than me.

Absolutely, Bill. I was in such a hurry to get building, I didn't want to "waste time" building a rotisserie. Big mistake. Over the next five years I can't TELL you how many sore backs I would have avoided. "If I had nickel for every hour I spent hanging down inside that fuse ...." :(

Multiple heights.

My fabrication table is at 31". I like the lower height for working on big parts such as the canopy and frame. A short secretarial chair works if you desire to sit.

The perimeter of the shop has counters at 36" and a taller chair. I use it for electronics....so...yes there is a magnifying glass involved :rolleyes:

The height of the tables is 34", all of mine are the same height. This has been useful if you want to span things between the tables. I am 5' 8" and that puts the tables at a comfortable height.

If you get the wing kit first, then save the spar box. I use it to stand on when I need extra height (takes the place of a lower table). For example, while riveting on the skins when the wing is standing up. It is long enough to go the entire length of two tables (obviously).

I have only worked on the wings, so I don't know if I will ever need a higher table.