Vlad

Well Known Member
A mosquito struck my prop a while ago. What would be the best fix to it? It's not that bad I magnified it on purpose. It's wood prop. Any carpenter tricks?

a80004db.jpg

I would Pitch in to help get you a new one just to keep you flying

I'm sure someone knows how to do a standard repair on that type of prop. The manufacturer would be my first contact. They may have a prop shop near by that services their props. That's an extreme caution area for me. Balance and strength are only two of the areas of concern.

Bob Axsom

Thanks for concern Bob I appreciate it. The area affected is very small I sanded it off nicely and nobody notices. I am down for first condition inspection and would like to address that. Aren't we experimental people with knowledge of basic concepts? :D

Vlad,
If it were anything but a propeller, I can tell you how to fix it. Not being able to look at it in person, I am leery to give advice. We had a plane over the mountains near Aspen lose a prop a couple years ago. He made it back to the airport, but was pretty harry.

I can't tell if the prop is clad or just painted. If it was the edge of a rail on boat and not clad, I would clean and remove all the lose material. Then I would use West Systems epoxy with fiberglass strands mixed in and stuff it in the holes with a stick or thin screwdriver. Let the epoxy cure - sand and repeat with the fiberglass strands if needed. If you got it filled good on the first try, then you can use epoxy with silica (very hard and hard to sand) to fill out any holes. Sand till smooth and paint to match.

For a propeller, I would call the manufacture and see what they said. Even if it isn't a Catto, I bet he would give you some good advice. It is very hard to see how deep or how much damage there is from the picture. Looking at it, you may be able to see if it is like a cracked bat or just a nick. Again, how I would repair a rail on a boat is not the same as a prop, and if it were me, I wouldn't take much of a chance. Once a prop is repaired, you may have balance issues and vibration from different weights. It is a tricky situation. It may be fine just sanding it out and adding a bit of epoxy for protection - or not!

Good luck and safety first is always a good way to go.

A call to the manufacturer is probably your best choice.

I will say that if you have some spare time, look up the old issues of the Canard Aviator. The canard guys get a lot of prop damage because their props are behind all 3 wheels. The consensus in that community seemed to be to fill dings with resin and flox, then sand smooth.

A mosquito struck my prop a while ago. What would be the best fix to it? It's not that bad I magnified it on purpose. It's wood prop. Any carpenter tricks?

a80004db.jpg

If it truly was a mosquito... (Length of the adult varies, but is rarely greater than 16 mm (0.6 in),[19] and weight up to 2.5 milligrams (0.04 grains). All mosquitoes have slender bodies with three segments: head, thorax and abdomen.) ......
Then I would look for another brand of prop....... :eek:

If it truly was a mosquito... (Length of the adult varies, but is rarely greater than 16 mm (0.6 in),[19] and weight up to 2.5 milligrams (0.04 grains). All mosquitoes have slender bodies with three segments: head, thorax and abdomen.) ......
Then I would look for another brand of prop....... :eek:

I'd look for another brand of Mosquito :D