Ronj41

I'm New Here
Can anyone tell me if their is as much of a problem when you have an engine (Lycoming 0235) that has sustained a prop strike with a wooden prop verses metal. no sudden stoppage just a hit.

Lycoming considers all prop strikes to be equal. ANY prop regardless of how minor can cause damage to the crankshaft and the dowel and bolt holding the gear to the aft end.
Tear down is called for.

My O-235 had two wooden prop strikes before I got it. One was during landing with the gear up where about 6" was taken off each blade. The tower had told him to go around, which he did, and he wasn't aware of the damage until after engine shut-down. The second occured several years later when his nose gear collapsed after landing. We miked the crank and it showed normal run-put. An O-320 I know of had a hit while taxiing that took off about 5" on a fibreglass-over-wood prop. Again, run-out looked fine. There was no resulting stoppage on any of these. Take this for what it is worth!

Guys, you're playing with fire.....

Lycoming considers all prop strikes to be equal. ANY prop regardless of how minor can cause damage to the crankshaft and the dowel and bolt holding the gear to the aft end.
Tear down is called for.

........if you don't listen to Mel and tear it down.

Several years ago, A Piper had an engine failure at night upon reaching 5000' or so, out of Augusta, Ga. and didn't quite make it to Wrens, Ga airport following ATC vectors.....five fatalities. The engine had a prop strike to a dirt berm earlier in its life and the shaft driving the dual mag broke! H2AD engine.

Listen to the good advice,