BASE1127

It's about time to refinish my Pacesetter wood prop and I did a search to find out what varnish and paints folks were using. This will be my first attempt at refinishing, but from folks I've talked to and sources like http://www.thompson-aero.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=66&Itemid=34 it sounds pretty straightforward.
My only question is, is there a preferred brand or type of marine spar varnish? Is there a preferred type of paint to use on the tips (durability an issue at high velocity?) and rear face (flat/ no glare)?
Much thanks,
Eric

Paint

For paint, I believe that Craig Catto uses PPG on the front faces, and for the propeller backs he uses: ACE Interior/Exterior Premium Enamel Wrought Iron Flat Black 17003/17003.

Thanks for the tip! $3 a can for flat black sounds great. I've sprayed PPG/imron through a gun before, but if I can paint the tips with a rattle can, it'd sure make the job quicker and easier. Does anybody else have any suggestions?

Catalyzed acrylic enamel

Any catalyzed acrylic enamel will do a great job but none will resist rain damage. I refinished my Pacesetter at last Condition Inspection w/ rattle cans and balanced w/ Paul Lipps prop balencer and it's as smooth as silk.

Any catalyzed acrylic enamel will do a great job but none will resist rain damage. I refinished my Pacesetter at last Condition Inspection w/ rattle cans and balanced w/ Paul Lipps prop balencer and it's as smooth as silk.

Did you rattle can the varnish as well?

Prop finish

I refinished my Sterba by sanding smooth, spray can "urethane" varnish and flat black on backside, basic high temp engine paint. I havent done any tip color. Made a balance rig with a piece of tubing and 2 machette blades in a vise. Add a coat of the flat black to the light blade until balance achieved. I have 100 hrs. on it since finishing, and not even a scratch to report. i have been in light rain a couple times, but not for long. Fly over to 8A7 (Twin lakes) sometime. Im not far from you.