redhawk

Well Known Member
Has anyone had any experience with that "Prop Guard" product that can be applied to the leading edge of a wood prop?
I was thinking this would be a good idea to help protect my wood prop.
Thanks for your replies!

wood props

I don't know the answer to your question but I'm seriously considering a wood prop for my RV9A.

I know they have some extra maintenance issues but Van's build manual indicates there are some advantages to a wood prop.

I'd like to hear from some "wood prop experts" out there on their experiences with a wood prop.

What are the pros & cons?

Dave
RV9A fuselage almost done
Currently in flight school - 9 hrs

I don't know the answer to your question but I'm seriously considering a wood prop for my RV9A.

I know they have some extra maintenance issues but Van's build manual indicates there are some advantages to a wood prop.

I'd like to hear from some "wood prop experts" out there on their experiences with a wood prop.

What are the pros & cons?

Dave
RV9A fuselage almost done
Currently in flight school - 9 hrs

Yes, there are some advantages to a wood prop. But, there are some serious disadvantages when mounted on an RV. RV's (even the -9) are made to cruise at much higher airspeeds than the typical Cub or Champ. If you run into rain you will have to reduce RPM and airspeed to preserve the finish on your prop and you will then be cruising along with all the Cubs and Champs. Your RV buddies will soon find someone else to accompany on trips!

My Sterba prop came with a substantial bit of urethane (I think thats what it is) at the leading edge as protection. It is designed to be replaced if it wears too much.
As far as rain......I have flown in rain on a couple of occasions and the only wear has been the yellow paint stripes at the tips which were put on by the painter. I have not noticed any other wear on the prop, but then I do my best to stay out of the rain.
The only special maintenance I do for my prop is to check the bolt torques at each oil change.
251.5 hours so far.

Wood prop protection

I have a Catto wood/glass prop with prop guard tape. I highly recommend it. Here in South Florida it is difficult to avoid not flying in rain at some point. The prop guard tape will take the beating instead of the prop. Replace it every few years as needed.

Eddy Fernandez
RV9A 301 hours

I have Prop Guard on my Hartzel and it's great. It has several rock nicks that didn't get all the way to the blades. Next time I will look into getting some of the same material from "Clear Bra". Its the stuff that can be applied to car front ends to prevent nicks in the paint. You can buy it in sheets and cut your own strips for prop protection.

www.clearbraoregon.com

Bruce Reynolds
RV-6A