N941WR

Legacy Member
Prop, engine size, cruise, and climb speeds?

Let's create a list of props and pertinent info would be very helpful for those that follow.

If you don’t know all the info, fill in what you know. Flying planes only, please.

Gang, let's not turn this into a CS vs FP discussion or that one maker is better than another. Let the numbers speak for themselves.
(Moderators, please delete any info, comments, etc. other than the responses to the above list.)

Please respond with the following:

Aircraft Type:
Prop manufacture:
Material (Wood/composite/metal):
Type (CS/FP/GAP):
Size (Dia & Pitch):
Number of blades:
Top Speed:
Typical Cruise Speed:
Typical cruise setting (RPM & MAP):
Max ROC in FPM:
Engine type and size (ex: O-360 180HP):
Ignition (Two mags/one mag and EI, dual EI - Type of EI isn't important):

Thanks!

Update: Added the all important prop size and pitch.

Last edited:
Let's create a list of props and pertinent info would be very helpful for those that follow.

Thanks!

Aircraft Type: RV-6A
Prop manufacture: Prince
Material (Wood/composite/metal): Composit/wood
Type (CS/FP/GAP): FP
Number of blades: 2
Top Speed: 200+ (MPH)
Typical Cruise Speed: 175-180 (MPH)
Typical cruise setting (RPM & MAP): 2500/19"
Max ROC in FPM: >2000 FPM
Engine type and size: O-360 180 HP

Bill,

The specified climb criteria is flawed. "Max rate of climb" is so subjective, no useful conclusions can be made regarding whatever is reported.

The only valid apples to apples numbers are measured from brake release to a specific altitude. Any other method is subject to considerable manipulation.

Bill,

The specified climb criteria is flawed. "Max rate of climb" is so subjective, no useful conclusions can be made regarding whatever is reported.

The only valid apples to apples numbers are measured from brake release to a specific altitude. Any other method is subject to considerable manipulation.

David,

While your comments are true, it is all we have to go on. As for your test, very few pilots have done it. Thus the list above. Besides, there is no way to know the numbers people will post are BS or not. At least with this info, people can make (somewhat) informed choices.

Now, back to the list.

Suggestions

Bill, in order to make this kind of information more useful, I suggest the following:

1. Weight used for any speed report.
2. Speed for L/Dmax as determined with the methods described in my OSH2010 presentation or the spread sheets, all linked below.
3. Density altitude(s) for any speed report(s).
4. Fuel flow for reported speeds, if available and how mixture set (peak, LOP, ROP, etc.)

I know you wanted to accumulate prop data, but prop data without knowing what the prop is doing or what it takes to get it to do it is not really as useful.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill, in order to make this kind of information more useful, I suggest the following:

1. Weight used for any speed report.
2. Speed for L/Dmax as determined with the methods described in my OSH2010 presentation or the spread sheets, all linked below.
3. Density altitude(s) for any speed report(s).
4. Fuel flow for reported speeds, if available and how mixture set (peak, LOP, ROP, etc.)

I know you wanted to accumulate prop data, but prop data without knowing what the prop is doing or what it takes to get it to do it is not really as useful.

Just my 2 cents.

While I agree with you, the average pilot isn't going to go out and do speed runs to report back to this thread. All I was looking for were ballpark figures. In this case, any data is better than no data. Once two or three people with similar props from the same maker report in, a builder could use those numbers to make their choice.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to rain on the thread, but this info has been meticulously documented and analyzed by Craig, at Catto Props. Not a sales pitch, just my experience.

Aircraft Type: RV-6
Prop manufacture: Aymar/Demuth
Material (Wood/composite/metal): Wood/Composite
Top Speed: 175 knots/2700 RPM/28"
Typical Cruise Speed: 155 knots/2425rpm/23" (6,000')
Typical cruise setting (RPM & MAP):
Max ROC in FPM: 1500' sustained in standard conditions at 1350 lbs (2350 rpm, 28" MP)
Engine type and size (ex: O-360 180HP): 160 HP 0-320

I'm not trying to rain on the thread, but this info has been meticulously documented and analyzed by Craig, at Catto Props. Not a sales pitch, just my experience.

Larry,

Exactly why we need this thread.

Craig cut me a prop for the O-290-D2 I had in my -9. It was supposed to be a cruise prop and turned out to be a great climb prop. I could run all day long on the redline at 64% power and 165 mph (140 knots), well below what it should be. (It turns out the prop he recommended was what he cuts for O-235 powered RV-3’s.)

I like Craig and he makes a great prop but he can make a mistake. In my case, he told me that he couldn't raise the pitch and that I would have to buy another prop from him. Not exactly what a builder wants to hear.

By putting together this thread, with what is hopefully "honest" data from the VAF members, builders will have an idea if the diameter and pitch of a proposed prop will get them CLOSE to their desired performance numbers.

Also, different prop builders use different formulas to derive their pitch. That is why it is so difficult to compare props from different manufactures.

For example, the new Catto prop I have is a 72” diameter by 73” pitch. Yet, the recommended Sensenich FP metal prop for a 180 hp RV-7 has a 85” pitch. Sure sounds like I have another climb prop waiting to bolt on my soon to be reborn 180 HP RV-9, yet Craig tells me this prop should get me well over 200 MPH.

The only way to tell what works is to hear from those who have gone before.

Last edited:
I like you Bill, doesn't matter what others say. :D And Kyle, great to see you at T-ville!

Aircraft Type: RV-9
Prop manufacture: Ed Sterba
Material: Wood
Type (CS/FP/GAP): FP 70x79
Top Speed: 184.5 mph GPS ground speed
Typical Cruise Speed: 140 knots (161 mph) GPS g/s
Typical cruise setting (RPM & MAP): 2300rpm
Engine type and size (ex: O-360 180HP): 160 HP 0-320

Aircraft Type: -9
Prop manufacture: Catto
Material (Wood/composite/metal): Composite
Number of blades: 2 70x70 (Climb pitch)
Top Speed: 190 mph (166 KTAS)
Typical Cruise Speed: 143 KTAS
Typical cruise setting (RPM & MAP): 2500 (max RPM is 2900)
Max ROC in FPM: 1950 at Vy (I can accelerate to 100kts and pull back and see 3500 fpm to 1000' by the time speed bleeds back to Vy)
Engine type and size (ex: O-360 180HP): o-320
Ignition (Two mags/one mag and EI, dual EI - Type of EI isn't important): Dual P-mags

Last edited:
Aircraft Type: RV-6A
Material: Composite
Type: FP
Number of blades: 3 (three)
Top Speed: 200+ MPH (8000' density altitude, full power)
Typical Cruise Speed: 185 MPH
Typical cruise setting: 2550 RPM, 18" MP around 11,000'
Max ROC in FPM:
Engine type and size: O-360, ~ 190 HP
Ignition: One Bendix, one Lightspeed III EI

Will correct anything misleading in the future.

Last edited:
Aircraft Type: RV9A
Prop manufacture:Hartzel
Material (Wood/composite/metal):metal
Type (CS/FP/GAP):CS
Number of blades:2
Top Speed:160 kts
Typical Cruise Speed:150 kts
Typical cruise setting (RPM & MAP):2300/23
Max ROC in FPM:2000
Engine type and size (ex: O-360 180HP):O-320
Ignition (Two mags/one mag and EI, dual EI - Type of EI isn't important):t mags

Material (Wood/composite/metal): Compsite
Size: 68" Dia x 64" pitch
Top Speed: 178 mph
Typical Cruise Speed: 165 mph
Typical cruise setting (RPM & MAP): 2600 RPM / 20.8 MAP
Max ROC in FPM: 1800 FPM
Engine type and size (ex: O-360 180HP): O-290-D2 135 HP
Ignition: Dual P-mags

Aircraft Type: RV-7A
Prop manufacture: CATTO
Material (Wood/composite/metal): WOOD/FIBER GLASS COVER
Size (Dia & Pitch): 66X74
Number of blades: 3
Top Speed: 202+
Typical Cruise Speed: 173
Typical cruise setting (RPM & MAP): 8 GPH LOP 2500/22"
Max ROC in FPM: SL 1600 10K 800 (2500+ MOMENTARILY)
Engine type and size (ex: O-360 180HP): IO360 180HP
Ignition: SLICK MAGNETOS

If you'll look at the post "Elippse propellers for RVs" on this same "propellers section you'll see the comparison test data from Jim Smith's 3-blade and his 2-blade Aymar-DeMuth.

Aymar-Demuth

Aircraft Type: RV-6
Prop manufacture: Aymar-Demuth (Model 360)
Material (Wood/composite/metal): Wood
Top Speed: 206 (Sea Level MPH 1500lbs)
Typical Cruise Speed: 175-180 (MPH )
Typical cruise setting (RPM & MAP): 2350/19" 8500Ft
Max ROC in FPM: >1600 FPM
Engine type and size: O-360 180 HP
Ign: Bendix Mags

You've got a great -9 !

Top: 178 mph, Cruise: 165 mph, O-290-D2 135 HP

Great numbers Bill! I love seeing the breadth of RV configurations - especially great performance from more modest setups. I'll try to add my data once I am flying :)

Aircraft Type: RV-7
Prop manufacture:WW200RV
Material (Wood/composite/metal):composite
Type (CS/FP/GAP):C/S
Size (Dia & Pitch):72"
Top Speed:186KTAS...haven't run full power yet
Typical Cruise Speed: 170KTAS, 8000'
Typical cruise setting (RPM & MAP): 21"/2350rpm, 8.4gph
Max ROC in FPM: >2000
Engine type and size (ex: O-360 180HP):IO-360 ~190hp
Emag/Pmag

Way back when God was young, Fred Cook of Great American Propellers in Oceano, CA and EAA 177 in San Luis Obispo CA suggested that a fly-off be done among several makes of propellers on one plane. This was done by RvG on one of his planes, and the results were published in Sport Aviation. It sounds as if with the newer, high-efficiency two- and three-blade props that are available that maybe the honorable Richard could be imposed upon to perform a similar series of tests, or maybe one of the RV pilots would use his plane to do similar testing. It would be nice to have both a 160 HP O-320 plane as well as a 180 HP O-360 plane. Perhaps this could be done in Oshkosh at SeaVenture or maybe even Copperstate. That's really the best way to find out the true and not so true claims!

Aircraft Type:rv7a
Prop manufacture: hartzell
Material (Wood/composite/metal):metal
Type (CS/FP/GAP):cs
Size (Dia & Pitch):72"
Top Speed:170kts
Typical Cruise Speed:165kts
Typical cruise setting (RPM & MAP):2400/2400
Max ROC in FPM:2400
Engine type and size (ex: O-360 180HP):IO360