donaziza

Well Known Member
Jeppesen® Charts in Garmin Pilot

Garmin is pleased to announce a global strategic relationship with Jeppesen to bring Jeppesen terminal charts and airway manuals to the Garmin Pilot app on Apple® devices. Users who have a Jeppesen electronic charting subscription may use an open license to view Jeppesen approach charts, in addition to arrival and departure procedures, within Garmin Pilot.

To allocate an electronic charting license to Garmin Pilot, select the Jeppesen tab from the “Settings” icon.

View Video →

I "think" the other thing---Garmin's $299/year deal vs Jepps $400+ was on WAAS navigators like a 430 W or 650, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Jeppesen? Charts in Garmin Pilot

Garmin is pleased to announce a global strategic relationship with Jeppesen to bring Jeppesen terminal charts and airway manuals to the Garmin Pilot app on Apple? devices. Users who have a Jeppesen electronic charting subscription may use an open license to view Jeppesen approach charts, in addition to arrival and departure procedures, within Garmin Pilot.

To allocate an electronic charting license to Garmin Pilot, select the Jeppesen tab from the ?Settings? icon.

View Video →

I "think" the other thing---Garmin's $299/year deal vs Jepps $400+ was on WAAS navigators like a 430 W or 650, but I'm not sure.

I noticed that too. It seems a bit more subtle than "Garmin is going head-to-head woth Jeppesen in a price war" and more like "competitors who also occasionally partner are working to keep some market share."

The reality is that now that the government plates are available for free download at any time, there is no good reason to buy the subscription. Now, the preference some have for the Jepp format has to overcome the delta between the cost of the Jepp charts and "free" versus the old delta which was much smaller.

Who knows if this is how it happened, but it would make business sense for Garmin to approach Jepp and say "we are going to make our own nav data but if you want to reach our growing customer base we will sell you access to our distribution network (Garmin Pilot and the navigator updates)." That would make for some good negotiation now that Garmin has that leverage.