Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Part 1

What a great flying day! After a month in the paint shop, my RV-8 was scheduled to be ready for pick-up ? which was good, because it was just about the only day I had available for awhile! Grady at GLO didn?t call and tell me not to come, so I set out this morning for Hobby airport to hitch a ride on SWA?s regular flight to Dallas ? first friend got me to the airport on his way to work. Second friend ? Ross ?Scorch? Burgess got me on the flight (door to door, it took longer on the airline than it did when he brought me the other way in his RV-6 last month?.).

Upon arrival at Dallas Love, a quick call to Doug Reeves ascertained that he was a few minutes out to pick me up ? friend number?oh heck, there are too many to count! I was reminded in the drive from Love to 52F (home of many RV?s and GLO Custom paint) just how spread out the DFW area really is! AS we arrived at 52F, I was as excited as a kid at Christmas ? couldn?t wait to see what Grady had done! And I was not disappointed ? the paint is amazing, far better than I even imagined. Pictures will be coming soon, I promise ? just need some downloading and editing! But this post is about people, not airplanes!

Grady and Brandon at GLO Custom were just finishing up final assembly as we arrived, so there was plenty of time to look things over and do a careful post-assembly preflight. Monkey showed up to help and look things over, as did Jay Pratt and Danny King. Man, this place is a beehive of activity. As we were getting ready to go do lunch before departure, the phone rang, and it was Scorch ? calling from Houston, where he was getting ready to depart fro Dallas in his Boeing. We arranged for an air-to-air frequency, and synchronized our watches. Good thing too!

Lunch completed, it was time to hit the sky. Did OI mention that after two weeks of hot, clear weather, we had a bunch of moisture and energy moving into the Houston area from the Gulf ? the very day I really needed to fly? Big storms were popping up all over, and I new this before I left for Dallas. I figured that I could pick up the airplane and head south ? plenty of places to land and wait out weather on the way home. Leaving 52F, the weather was hot, but the clouds were scattered ? and there was Doug with his camera, shooting pictures as I departed (after a sorta-high-speed pass?). As I cleared the southern edge of the DFW Class B, I climbed up on top to get out of the bumps, and I could tell I was in for a fun time?..

Part 2

When I checked the radar in the morning, I could tell that Houston was in for a pounding, and messages on my Blackberry as we were inspecting the plane and eating lunch confirmed this. Having lived there a long time, however, I knew that the atmosphere was probably wringing itself out, and there would be the usual mid-afternoon hot and humid lull. The trick was getting there. Just as I got to 7500, I heard Scorch calling on A/A. He advised me that I was ?going to have an interesting time, and better have a plan B in mind!? I always have a plan ?B??and usually a ?C? and ?D? as well. (Usually, they mean running away from bad weather, by the way.) In this case, it looked as if I could head south to Eagle Lake and avoid the big storms I could see that looked to be north and east of Houston. Once I got down to the west, I could swing to the coast and back up if need be. I definitely wasn?t going to go IFR and bury myself in those clouds with boomers around! This looked to be a decent plan, but about halfway along, near Mexia, I heard from Scorch again?it had to be nice cruising along in a Boeing with all those resources! ?Paul, I just passed you, and I suggest you go present position to Navasota. There is a bunch of stuff quickly building around College Station and spreading west. If you have to deviate, do so to the east!? Now THAT turned out to be great advice! I punched in direct TNV, and saw that was taking me through a saddle between two storms. I started to climb over the saddle, but realized at 10,000? that even though I was going up at 1,000 fpm, it wasn?t going to cut it. Seeing as I was just a mile or two south of a clear spot, I turned her around, and headed for the deck.

These thunderstorms had a nice ceiling of around 3,000?, and lots of clear air between them (down low). I headed southeast, skirting the worst of the rain (but managing to was a little dust of the plane!). As I closed in on Leona VOR, I could see that I had pretty much a clear shot down to the west side of Houston, and I was home free. Headwinds made the trip a bit longer, as did the deviations, but the airplane has a great speed and range capability in dealing with weather. I had more options than I needed- and could always have depended on my friends ? as I did all day long.

As people have said before ? building an RV is about lots more than the hardware and flying ? it?s about the people you meet along the way. Thanks to all who made this day a success!

Pictures to come?.

Standing by...

Paul, We're standing by for those pictures! Must have been great to be back in the air again.

Dang, I'm glad that worked out, Paul! I was sorta tempted to just shut up, knowing that an aviator of your talents would figure it out, but that WAS a big area of weather over by College Station.

Saw Doug's pics of your paint job. Killer. Grady and Brandon have outdone themselves.

Good luck with upcoming mission, keep in touch with yo buds at 52F.

Scorch

Left or Right...??

Typical Texas Thunderstorms - Houston is on the other side of that - do you go left, or right?

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

You drop down below the deck, and follow the advice from a friend with a radar! (.....and go around the east, and watch the fun from there!)

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Pictures of the airplane are coming- Doug has the good ones - I just posted the tail art!

Paul