Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
The screen on the GPS blinked from night to day mode as I advanced the throttle and released the brakes, rolling for take-off on our Runway 11. The trees at the other end of the runway were rapped in tendrils of fog spilling out of the creek bed a few hundred yards beyond, but a few stars still sparkled in the dark sky as I lifted off, climbing quickly above the foliage to see the faintest sliver of the new sun just edging above the distant ocean horizon. If I’d been a half minute earlier, I might have seen the Green Flash…..

The Valkyrie’s wing bit eagerly into the cool air as it swept out a right hand turn and I climbed out for a low cruise altitude under the Houston airspace. The fall air played tricks with my mind, for as far as I could see, it appeared that the fields and glades were covered in snow - the kind of snow you see all over the Midwest in December, when the first storms of the season have dusted the field, but not covered them - the light blanket of white that tells you the cold air has arrived. But this was not snow - it was morning dew, and a few tendrils of fog - nothing to worry about, in fact, something simply to marvel over. To the north and east, the fog was thicker, with reporting points on the north side of Houston and in to Louisiana showing Low IFR. But the path to the north and west was a beautiful tableau of white and green, the false front of November. To the right, I could see the downtown buildings of the metropolis, sheathed in gossamer white, the freeways and streets already crowded with commuters who were unaware that I was speeding over them all….

As the sun climbed above the horizon, the temperature rose quickly, the dew fell back into the ground; the fog melting away, and the soft colors giving way to the harsher light of day. The RV felt as if it were on rails, responding to little blips of the trim button, but otherwise suspended in air as smooth as the water of a mirrored lake. The magic of a sunrise flight is wonderful to behold, and well worth the effort of an early morning departure. As I cleared the airspace and climbed to a more normal altitude, I left the fairy land behind, and began planning the all-to-soon arrival at the far end of this morning’s errand. We really are blessed to have these machines at our beck and call, even if we frequently forget to take the time so simply appreciate these “magic moments”!

Paul

Last edited:
Sounds better than my flight today in my medical helicopter with the patient in cardiac arrest!!!

Thanks, Paul. You painted a nice word picture of one of those magical flights that we are lucky to experience from time to time.

At times like that, I am reminded of the ancient and wise words of my Air Force T-38 flight instructor who, while observing a spectacular sunset while we performed aerobatics, looked down and exclaimed, "I wonder what all the sad *****rs are doing down there."

Not quite as eloquent as your essay, but still pretty good. ;)

the rest of the story

Ok Paul,
We have now read the book jacket. When are you publishing the rest of the book? I want one!! I was there with you. I could see the fog and the dew. Feel "The Valk." climb. Come on, Paul. Don't stop there....

How 'bout it folks? ;)

The Book

Paul definately has the knack for writing. And those of us that get to fly in the Htown area know this is one of the times of years we like best. Cold and calm air make for nice smooth flights with much better performance than our humid hot summers or most other times.

I will definately be in line for a copy when he publishes!

Thanks again Paul for reminding us builders why we need to keep pounding away.

Paul,

All I can say is...
urtheman.gif

The screen on the GPS blinked from night to day mode as I advanced the throttle and released the brakes, rolling for take-off on our Runway 11. The trees at the other end of the runway were rapped in tendrils of fog spilling out of the creek bed a few hundred yards beyond, but a few stars still sparkled in the dark sky as I lifted off, climbing quickly above the foliage to see the faintest sliver of the new sun just edging above the distant ocean horizon. If I?d been a half minute earlier, I might have seen the Green Flash?..

The Valkyrie?s wing bit eagerly into the cool air as it swept out a right hand turn and I climbed out for a low cruise altitude under the Houston airspace. The fall air played tricks with my mind, for as far as I could see, it appeared that the fields and glades were covered in snow - the kind of snow you see all over the Midwest in December, when the first storms of the season have dusted the field, but not covered them - the light blanket of white that tells you the cold air has arrived. But this was not snow - it was morning dew, and a few tendrils of fog - nothing to worry about, in fact, something simply to marvel over. To the north and east, the fog was thicker, with reporting points on the north side of Houston and in to Louisiana showing Low IFR. But the path to the north and west was a beautiful tableau of white and green, the false front of November. To the right, I could see the downtown buildings of the metropolis, sheathed in gossamer white, the freeways and streets already crowded with commuters who were unaware that I was speeding over them all?.

As the sun climbed above the horizon, the temperature rose quickly, the dew fell back into the ground; the fog melting away, and the soft colors giving way to the harsher light of day. The RV felt as if it were on rails, responding to little blips of the trim button, but otherwise suspended in air as smooth as the water of a mirrored lake. The magic of a sunrise flight is wonderful to behold, and well worth the effort of an early morning departure. As I cleared the airspace and climbed to a more normal altitude, I left the fairy land behind, and began planning the all-to-soon arrival at the far end of this morning?s errand. We really are blessed to have these machines at our beck and call, even if we frequently forget to take the time so simply appreciate these ?magic moments?!

Paul

You ever consider writing a book on... I dunno... building a plane and flying it, something like that? Seriously Paul, you have a way with words that alot of people cannot naturally communicate. You could relay the beauty of building and flying to thousands! Who knows, they may even make a movie about it... a variation of One Six Right...

Thanks, Paul. You painted a nice word picture of one of those magical flights that we are lucky to experience from time to time.

At times like that, I am reminded of the ancient and wise words of my Air Force T-38 flight instructor who, while observing a spectacular sunset while we performed aerobatics, looked down and exclaimed, "I wonder what all the sad *****rs are doing down there."

Not quite as eloquent as your essay, but still pretty good. ;)

Now THAT is good!

A Book?

Well heck, life is still pretty hectic, and promises to remain that way until I retire, but after that - who knows? Books take so much time, you have to do things like spell checks, proofreading, and even fact checking....sounds tedious!;)

"Zen and the art of airplane building"? I think it's been done.....:cool:

Thanks guys, but for now, maybe I'll just continue to annoy people on the 'net....

Paul

Annoy away!

Great stuff, Paul! (As usual) Personally I think your callsign should be "The Poet".

the book, please, give us the book ...

If, as I suspect, only a small percentage of people who read posts actually reply, and if, by virtue of us all being here (VAF) by choice we have similar thoughts and ideas, then based on several comments above and my own thoughts, then by my calculations, Paul, at least a couple hundred of us already want you to write the book!! And only 10% of members have viewed your msg.

By the end of the second sentence I could imagine myself in the bookstore, with a nice new paperback (or maybe the hardback version, 'cos this would be one I'd want in hardback) in my hand thinking, enough, just get to the checkout and buy this great piece of work and go home and read it in comfort.

Loved it, just want the next couple hundred pages .... PLEASE !!! :)