ron sterba

Well Known Member
Sold my 296 to a nice guy before I went shopping for a Garmin touch screen or AV8OR handheld. After reading some reviews and testing in store of both units I'am least impressed with the AV8OR. 11 taps on the screen to get certain airport info to come up. Thats way to long. I wasn't the only one who had trouble with the same problem. The Garmins seemed ok but I think Garmin took a couple of steps backwards with their Graphics.. It seems they are using the auto GPS housing and graphics. When I said graphics they are using 1st grade animation and icons. If you have a 296/396/495/496 I would keep it until somebody does a up grade. Wish I didn't sell it!!!!(296)

I have a professional pilot friend who flies with both swears the AV8or is better than the Garmin. He also said the display is much brighter. To each his own, I guess.

I sold my 296 with my cessna and bought a 495. I thought it was worth the little extra to have a faster processor, be able to load all of Alaska onto a single card, as well as have taxi info. The 496 would be good, but we don't get weather up here.

schu

Get a 696 and you'll feel a lot better! :D

I went from a 296 to a 496. The 496 has much better resolution, and a faster processor. The 696 just beats them all. Large screen, with high resolution, and incredible brightness. I like it's push/click/turn knob too, which makes looking up an airport a snap. XM weather is great, even for the day to day TFR's that it puts on the screen in real time, let alone seeing weather conditions for hundreds of miles away.

In a way, I wish we had kept the 296 or 496. We now have a Lowrance 600c on the passenger side. It's screen size as well as brightness is less than the Garmins. But it was only $299 on sale.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I like to have my handheld in my hand. The 496 fits, the 696 is too big for single handed operation. It will be a while before I get rid of the 496 w/ XM Weather. It's a pretty trusted piece of hardware for me.

This statement made by many always confuses me since the 296-496 all have the same spec for resolution...480x320 :confused:

I suppose you're correct.

We'll have to put this another way. The terrain detail of the 496 versus the 296 is a lot richer, with far more elevation points in it's database. So we'll just say that the resolution of the 296 didn't live up to it's abilities....I guess.:p

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Sold my 296 to a nice guy before I went shopping for a Garmin touch screen or AV8OR handheld. After reading some reviews and testing in store of both units I'am least impressed with the AV8OR. 11 taps on the screen to get certain airport info to come up. Thats way to long. I wasn't the only one who had trouble with the same problem. The Garmins seemed ok but I think Garmin took a couple of steps backwards with their Graphics.. It seems they are using the auto GPS housing and graphics. When I said graphics they are using 1st grade animation and icons. If you have a 296/396/495/496 I would keep it until somebody does a up grade. Wish I didn't sell it!!!!(296)

Watch e bay, many others will be making the same mistake.

I originally was using a Garmin 196 that I borowwed from a friend. I found it difficult to navigate through the pages. I purchased the Bendix AV8OR when it first came out and love it. I find it very simple to use.

Ahh, now that computes!

The 496 has much finer detail on the terrain so it looks like it has better resolution.

I suppose you're correct.

We'll have to put this another way. The terrain detail of the 496 versus the 296 is a lot richer, with far more elevation points in it's database. So we'll just say that the resolution of the 296 didn't live up to it's abilities....I guess.:p

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Here's the fix to your problem

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=50194

AV8OR GPS

I was told that people with more moisture in the skin at the finger tip have better luck at getting the screen to activate. Has anybody had the problem on the AV8OR handheld like this?

I was told that people with more moisture in the skin at the finger tip have better luck at getting the screen to activate. Has anybody had the problem on the AV8OR handheld like this?

I have had mine 14 months and flown over 100hrs with it and I have not have any issues with the screen - even wearing groves !! I just used it on a 6 hr flight this past weekend, I wore groves for part of the flight as we were at 11.5K and is was cold, never had a issue with or without them, screen was easy to read in direct sunlight.

You mentioned previously that it takes "11 taps on the screen to get certain airport info to come up" - I don't know what exactly you are doing but it should not take more than 2 or 3 taps.

I have had mine 14 months and flown over 100hrs with it and I have not have any issues with the screen - even wearing groves !! I just used it on a 6 hr flight this past weekend, I wore groves for part of the flight as we were at 11.5K and is was cold, never had a issue with or without them, screen was easy to read in direct sunlight.

You mentioned previously that it takes "11 taps on the screen to get certain airport info to come up" - I don't know what exactly you are doing but it should not take more than 2 or 3 taps.

Agreed! No problems. And even with the new software, it should be about 3 max, maybe four taps if the airport has a second page of any particular data. One tap on the airport, one on the "More Info" button, and if you want to look at the comm frequencies, another tap to toggle over to that info. from the default "general info" page.

As an aside, I still love the touch-screen. I've had mine over a year now and flown it in a fair amount of chop and still wouldn't give it back. Just one more opinion.