I will be flying from Wisconsin to Las Vegas soon. Any sugestions on routes?
I just delivered Jim Pappas' newly-purchased RV-6A from SoCAL to the Chicago area this past weekend, and my routing was SoCAL-Vegas-Salt Lake City-Rock Springs-Scottsbluff-Reedsburg (Wisconsin for a cheese-pickup) then into the Chicago area (10C - Galt field). My hobbs time from LAS to SLC was ~2 hours and SLC - Reedsburg time was ~6.5 hours. It was a beautiful flight, so I'd recommend the reverse:

Wisconsin to BFF (Scottsbluff, NE) with a fuel stop somewhere in between. BFF has fuel and a great restaurant on-field for lunch (you GOTTA eat lunch!). Continue on towards Rock Springs (RKS) then along I-80 into the SLC area (either remaining clear of/below Class B airspace or use the pass at Heber City-36U; could get fuel at Heber too). Continue direct to Las Vegas (LAS), Henderson (HND, my favorite) or North Las Vegas (VGT).

Have a fun trip :D Rosie

Southern route

I made this trip last March and took the southern route, Great Bend Kansas-Farmington NM-North Las Vegas. GBD is a great stop, very friendly and excellent fuel prices at the new self-serve pump run by the city. They put my plane in the hangar for free. Avoid the FBO, who has high prices. VGT also had a good self-serve price.

Dave, what will you be doing when you get here.....It'll help so I can tell ya where the best place to tie down is.......Robb

Dave, what will you be doing when you get here.....It'll help so I can tell ya where the best place to tie down is.......Robb

I will be at the Harley-Davidson dealer meeting. Also looking for hanger space in Henderson or Boulder city.

HND is your best bet, probably because it will only take me 5 min to get there to check out your -7 :)....for a hangar at HND try Terry Frazier 702-278-0278 great guy and probably knows someone to help ya out. for a hangar at 61B try mike 702-334-4607 dont know him personaly but I know he has hangars for rent or he might know someone you can get a freebe from. Robb

Depends on whether you are comfortable going over mountain passes. If so consider going towards southern Colorado (Walsenburg), over La Veta pass then eventually to northern NM and thence west over four corners, Monument Valley (UT25), south over the Grand Canyon (get the map) then to Henderson.

Of course you can skirt most of the mountains by going towards Las Vegas NM then skirt those hills and head west to Las Vegas, NV.

Lots of options. Do get some instruction/advice on high altitude operations, engine leaning, etc.