Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
A few weeks ago a pile of boxes with all of my instrument etc showed up at the door. Since then I've been stalling by doing a bunch of the little jobs that needed to be addressed and even cleaned up the shop. I'd finally had reached the point where I was going to have to bite the bullet and get started with the wiring. I began reading the associated literature, looking at the drawings and immediately thought about responding to the "have you ever been intimidated thread" here on VAF.

So happens my son manages an FBO at the airport here, he mentioned to an avionics tech who works there if he would mind giving the Old Man a little guidance. Turns out the tech lives about a mile from me. I spent the last hour or so in the shop with him going over things, he says he'd love to come and give me a hand just to get out of the house. Well I guess that'd be okay :D He seemed to have the whole thing sorted out in about 10 minutes and said it was a pretty simple set-up really. I assured him that was purely a matter of perspective. Anyhow I'm so relieved about it all, I thought I'd tell everyone

Paul,

My avionics arrived a few weeks ago too and I'm doing a lot of head scratching. Stein told me the same thing - I just wish I had a tech that lived nearby, too.

A few weeks ago a pile of boxes with all of my instrument etc showed up at the door. Since then I've been stalling by doing a bunch of the little jobs that needed to be addressed and even cleaned up the shop. I'd finally had reached the point where I was going to have to bite the bullet and get started with the wiring. I began reading the associated literature, looking at the drawings and immediately thought about responding to the "have you ever been intimidated thread" here on VAF.

So happens my son manages an FBO at the airport here, he mentioned to an avionics tech who works there if he would mind giving the Old Man a little guidance. Turns out the tech lives about a mile from me. I spent the last hour or so in the shop with him going over things, he says he'd love to come and give me a hand just to get out of the house. Well I guess that'd be okay :D He seemed to have the whole thing sorted out in about 10 minutes and said it was a pretty simple set-up really. I assured him that was purely a matter of perspective. Anyhow I'm so relieved about it all, I thought I'd tell everyone

Sounds like a good recipient of a couple cases of beer!

Brad

I'm right with you.
It's time to start soldering little wires into little subD pins, coax into old Terra radio Backplane BNC connectors, crimping BNC connectors onto RG400. Wire up EFIS, GPS, Nav, Com,: Transponder, Encoder, etc. etc. etc....:eek:
Well, just like the rest of the plane; get educated, get tools, get started.

Paullie...

That is AWESOME!

It is nice to have some professional help, isn't it!?!

I have an A&P IA friend visiting from time to time. He really speeds up the safety wiring and double checking!

See you soon!

:) CJ