Hi Jeff

It's really not that difficult...more of a patience requirement because there are so many wires.

4 for the CHT's
4 for the EGT's
1 for power
1 for ground
Wires to the magnetometer
Wires to/from the GPS and or radio
Wires from the autopilot and so on...just a bunch of 'em.

Best,

I've almost clicked the "checkout" button at Dynon twice today. Once on the 10 and once on the 100..

Can't make up my mind. I like the larger screen of the 100, but I've never flown either. I've sat behind the 10A, and it wasn't bad.

Will I need a new pitot, etc?

I bought mine

I bought mine from Stein. I wanted the 300XL to talk to the AFS3500EE. If I was wiring up an SL30 I would have probably done it myself, but the 300XL was not very well documented anywhere that I could find.

I did buy the engine harness too from AFS.

Nope.

You can use your existing pitot/static system.

Jeff, the 100 has an HSI page/split screen that shows a round compass that corresponds to your heading and a left-right bar for navigating or shooting ILS/RNAV approaches that I don't believe the 10 has and also glide path bar. The 100 will also calculate your TAS if it's coupled to a GPS!! ...and show you winds aloft speed and direction by means of a small arrow and wind speed numbers by it. Don't think the 10 does that either.

Best,

Stein is very reasonable on his harnesses too. Don't know if he makes harnesses for avionics he doesn't sell but I'd call and ask.

Tram,

It's unfortunately impossible to answer your question in a meaningful way unless we knew your experience level with wiring in general. It should be simple - all wires have only two ends after all, and if you are the kind that can match up drawing "in's and out's", then it is simple - so long as you have the correct tools to do the crimping and insertions. I'd call Stein (after the show) and ask him how much a the harness would cost versus how much the tools and materials would cost. You can learn anything if you have built a plane - this is just another thing to learn in little bites.

Paul

Tram,

It's unfortunately impossible to answer your question in a meaningful way unless we knew your experience level with wiring in general. It should be simple - all wires have only two ends after all, and if you are the kind that can match up drawing "in's and out's", then it is simple - so long as you have the correct tools to do the crimping and insertions. I'd call Stein (after the show) and ask him how much a the harness would cost versus how much the tools and materials would cost. You can learn anything if you have built a plane - this is just another thing to learn in little bites.

Paul

Yeh, it's a bit of a loaded question, isn't it?

Stein is doing our new intercom harness which is supposed to hit the que sometime after OSH. I think I'll see what sorta price we'd be taking to get a D100 wired into the stack as well. :)

Fairly simple

On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult would you rank this? :)

Considering the excellent technical support offered by many of the vendors and this website. I purchased my EFIS from AFS and my Auto Pilot from Trio. The instructions and wiring schematics that accompany their products are awsome. Couple that with courteous and patient tech support, and you will be able to do a stress free installation of your electrical systems.
Good luck - you will learn a lot.
Steve

We'll do good for you on the wiring, but better if you buy the stuff through us...ya'll realize its cheaper to buy avionics through a dealer than going direct, right?? We can often package stuff from various vendors to save you money.

Cheers from OSH,
Stein

We'll do good for you on the wiring, but better if you buy the stuff through us...ya'll realize its cheaper to buy avionics through a dealer than going direct, right?? We can often package stuff from various vendors to save you money.

Cheers from OSH,
Stein

Stein-

You guys are doing the wiring for our intercom and I shot Paul an e-mail today about a custom panel. Let's get together when you get back from OSH and talk EFIS. :)

Jeff

+1 for SteinAir. Great people to work with.

I did my own EFIS wiring, and it really wasn't that tough. Panel switches are way worse, and that's only because I'm a noob when it comes to keeping my wire bundles neat.

With the MGL Odyssey G2, it was pretty easy. 4 or 5 wires for the main connector, 1 for the engine module, and 3 twisted pairs (1 power and 2 data) for the AHRS and compass.

Tram-

I started from scratch. No experience wiring. As others have said, it's just one wire at at time. Buy good quality supplies from Stein and B&C, and get started. For me, I found the hard part was building the schematic that identified where each wire pin out was headed. Getting the SL30 and the iCom A210 properly pinned to my PS Engineering audio panel was difficult. The instructions don't always work when you start connecting different manufactures components. Once the pin out diagram is completed, the actual wire runs are not difficult. You build experience and confidence as you go along. Before I started, wiring scared me. I was very worried about it. Now that I have finished, I can look back and say it was one of those things that I really enjoyed. Try it, you might find you like it as well.

+ another for 'buy from Stein'. I learned the hard way about buying direct and/or from AS.

I did buy my tools, wire and connectors from Stein to make sure I had the right stuff. Also, I paid him to do the schematic for my Icom A200, Xcom, PS 5000EX setup so that I didn't have to get wound up in my huggies about what goes where. That was some of the best money I spent, truly.

Someone needs to come up with words to fit 'AIRPLANE' as they've done with 'BOAT' (bust out another thousand). :)

Plane

Someone needs to come up with words to fit 'AIRPLANE' as they've done with 'BOAT' (bust out another thousand). :)

Perpetual Loss And 'Necessary Expenses'?
Previously Large Account Nearly Exhausted ?

Last edited:
with the remote compass

You can use your existing pitot/static system.

Jeff, the 100 has an HSI page/split screen that shows a round compass that corresponds to your heading and a left-right bar for navigating or shooting ILS/RNAV approaches that I don't believe the 10 has and also glide path bar. The 100 will also calculate your TAS if it's coupled to a GPS!! ...and show you winds aloft speed and direction by means of a small arrow and wind speed numbers by it. Don't think the 10 does that either.

Best,

The D10A does all the above..except for the split page. It's one or the other, ADI or HSI, but not both at the same time. It will however give you wind, both direction/speed and XW component and display both the LOC/GS info on the ADI.

Wiring Bundle

I have a question for the ''Wiring Pros'' if you don't mind

I'm just finishing the installation of my Skyview in my RV-4 and I have to run the wires from the tail to the front and would like to know if running the ADAHRS wires with the autopilot pitch servo wires in the same bundle could cause potential problems with either one?

Am I better running them in separate bundles??

Thank you

Bruno
[email protected]

Go with Stein!!

2 thumbs up for Stein to buy from and wiring. Great to work with, excellent support.

Not wishing to detract from Stein, however we worked with Approach Systems some years ago and were well pleased.

We connected the following

Dynon 100

Dynon 120

Garmin 430

Trutrak

Garmin 340 Audio Panel

King VHF

It all went through an Approach Systems Pro G Hub.

Plugged it together............. Switched on ............. It worked !

After we flew, my partner in the aeroplane wanted to add the HS34 module for the Dynon.

Called Approach Systems, Tim Hass went through the changes - sent the hub back, they modded it and sent back with a new cable.

Plugged together, reprogrammed the Garmin 430 to talk nicely to the Dynon and all is well.

Good people to deal with, ultra simple hook up, good follow up support and advice.