tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the 3 seperate "units" with the Garmin 430 (Com,Nav,GPS) have seperate power leads and the amps for each? It would seem that they should each go to a separate breaker in order to avoid a single point of failure.

Thanks

tonyjohnson said:
Does anyone know if the 3 seperate "units" with the Garmin 430 (Com,Nav,GPS) have seperate power leads and the amps for each? It would seem that they should each go to a separate breaker in order to avoid a single point of failure.

Thanks

The unit has 2 power leads....effectively isolating the Nav from the Com.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Garmin 430

FWIW, I have the Approach systems wiring hub. The 430 has two larger wires labeled at 10amps. I too was confused by this and was advised that is fine to use one source for the power and the reason for the two wires is so that "one" larger was was not needed. Spreading the load so to speak. Also was told that although the unit has separate power for the GPS portion and the nav/com that if any one point fails the unit will be totally inop. I forgot to ask Garmin while in Oshkosh.

Bottom line, I ganged all of the power leads to one 10 amp breaker on the the EXP switch panel.

Darwin N. Barrie
P19
Baffling work

EXP switch panel

Darwin,

I am glad that you mentioned the EXP switch panel. The reason for my calculations about power leads is to determine the feasibility of the EXP switch panel.

Which one are you using? Do you have a diagram of your plan? I am considering running a couple of the circuits from the EXP, like the two Master buss circuits, to a fuseblock and running lots of little wires (Electric turn and bank, warning lights, etc) to those circuits.

I would very much appreciate your observations regarding the EXP product.

tonyjohnson said:
Darwin,

I am glad that you mentioned the EXP switch panel. The reason for my calculations about power leads is to determine the feasibility of the EXP switch panel...............I would very much appreciate your observations regarding the EXP product.

Tony,

FWIW, I sent my lighted EXP-Bus back to Control Vision to have 2 or 3 of the "polyfuses" upgraded to a higher amperage rating to accept units such as the 430. As I recall, the original unit was NOT set up for use with a master relay and they removed a component. In addition, the highest rated polyfuse on the stock EXP unit was 7 amps and my installation required 2 circuits to be 10 amp. The rework was done in short order and so far, *seems* to be performing adequately.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" 60 hours

EXP (was 430)

Hi Rick,

I had to send mine back in to get the poly fuses upgraded, with one going to 10 amps. Not a problem.

Are you using a 430 and how did you do yours with the EXP?

Darwin

RV7Guy said:
Hi Rick,

I had to send mine back in to get the poly fuses upgraded, with one going to 10 amps. Not a problem. Are you using a 430 and how did you do yours with the EXP? Darwin
Darwin,

The wiring harness that came with my 430 suite had a 10 amp tag attached to one of its wires. I connected it to one of the upgraded 10 amp polyfuse circuits (via its spade connector) on the avionics bus of the EXP.

Rick