Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
For folks who have not done their wiring yet, be sure and put service loops of enough length to pull the connectors out so you can work on them as need be.

When I did mine, left just enough to barely pull out of panel, and that was a mistake. Yesterday I fought for 6 hours to repair what turned out to be a bad ground, so do yourself a favor and enable a foot or so of loops on everything.

I guess I thought I would add too much weight or sumpin' strange like that...

If possible run the main transverse wire bundle along to lower edge of the sub panel and avoid at all costs routing wiring runs to connectors through holes that are too small to pass the connector through.

That way when a connector is unplugged, or a gauge or switch is unscrewed from the panel it can be pulled back and dropped down underneath the panel for maintenance.

Most times I can get to these items sitting normally on the seat only having to do the 'dive' to undo the more difficult connectors.

Another tip - replace the pissy little screws that hold the DB-25 connectors in place with long knurled screws - that way you don't need any tools, connector installation and removal can be done simply by feel. .....and those pissy little screws no longer need to disappear underneath the mainspar when you are trying to assemble the backshells.

Doug Gray