uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
on the 7/9 when running the wires from equipment in the rear (EDC-10A, ELT etc) and aft of the spar center section (stick controls etc) forward to the panel do most people run the bundles through the center section (through the snap bushings) and then through the center tunnel where the fuel lines are and then up behind the firewall to the panel?

That's what I'm planning on doing. I'm also curious about how to run the nav lights, three wires run to the switch or one wire to a terminal strip, say under the seats? I'm trying to conserve space in the snap bushings but don't want it to look cheesy.

Wire runs

Van's plans show the wire bundle running forward on the right side in the tunnel, and up the firewall just to the right of the recess, secured with a cushioned clamp near the top.
As for the nav lights, I ran one wire down into the tunnel from the switch, then used a butt splice to run three wires out to the lights. Cheap, light, easy to replace a wire if I ever need to.
Ward

Drawing

It is on one of the drawings in the FWF kit. I'm at work so I don't have the specific drawing number. Sorry.

I installed two conduits.. one on each side.. it's surprising how many wires run back there.. nearly both are full.. and my system is somewhat simple (eg. no antenna coax going back there etc..)

of course, this is so much easier done during initial construction of the center fuselage.

more wiring runs

Interesting, where your center conduit exits the tunnel is where the facet fuel pump is mounted on mine. I will have to check the drawing in the FWF to see what Van's suggests (I have not looked at all these drawings yet).
I would think you could run a multiple conduit runs through the tunnel and have them exit below the heat distribution box on each side through grommets. This would be fairly neat but I do not know if they would interfere with the rudder/brake pedals.

One of the problems with the prints is that they sneak important bits of information on prints which have nothing to do with the version you are building !

So, if you are building a 7 tip up, there is important stuff on the 7A slider print #XX.

Does my head in - I tell you !

We carefully filed all the trainer wheel prints away and we are now using them again ;)

Some ideas

Hi,

It gets busy.... No 'right' way, but for some ideas....

Under the P1 seat we have 3x DB9 + 1x 3way molex. The DB9 provide links / joints for the trim servos, stick connections, flap sensing. The 3way molex is the break out for the nav light power.

Web_Img_9584.jpg

For the forward tunnel, we have the high pressure pump and 'loads' of cables. We ended up 5 conduits, 2x 3/4" plus 3x split 1/2". We ended up putting everything through this space, in hindsight I might have used the upper routes more for things like the static / pitot lines. The hardest part was getting the right distribution so the fuel line plumbing and the cables / tubes / coax going aft didn't chaff / rub / interfere.

Web_Img_9113.jpg

In the main push rod tunnel we started with a bundle of cables, but I decided it was likely going to rub on the rivets on the bottom skin. Therefore we ended up putting that in tube too.
Web_Img_9589.jpg

Just another option - not flying yet, so don't know about maintenance problems.

Regards,

Carl

I ran wires through both center tunnel bushings and through both outer bay bushings. All wires met under the boost pump and went to the FW in one bundle. The bundle went up the FW where the wires seperated into various smaller bundles depending on where they needed to terminate. I did run my RG-400 runs through the spars at the outer bay and from there along the main gear mount to the verticle stringer on the fuselage side and up to the panel (2 on each side). I clamped the coax runs on the back side (fuel vent lines on the front).

The bushings can get a bit tight if you have 10 pounds of avionics stuffed in a 5 pound wrapper. I ran my GRT mangetometer and TruTrak pitch harnesses under the right side longeron similar to the static line run on the left side.

The log jam is at the back end of the tunnel. There is only 1 bushing hole on the left side. I didn't have enough room to pass through the bushing in the aft baggage bulkhead. A contributing factor in my decision to run the afore mentioned harnesses under the right longeron. I have a QB and didn't add any extra conduits under the seats and baggage floor before riveting in the floors. I recommend you add some before closing up the floors.

Jekyll
7A

Longeron channels up high

I struggled with coax antenna runs from the panel to the wings (VOR and marker beacon) and belly (dual coms). I wanted to keep the coax separate from all the various wiring going up the middle to avoid excess noise.

I ended up using the inside of the longeron channels. The front points to a nice location on the subpanel (RV-7 tip up) and I ran the coax, ELT phone wire and the pitot./static lines to the back of the main cabin area. Then I ran then down the side of the bulkhead next to the seat and into the floor board. From there, I ran forward along the floor to the the aileron pushrod hole.

The run is a bit longer but it is well hidden and stays away from the other noisy wires. One tight spot where the two angles run up from the spar carrythrough (no idea what the F-XX reference is). I ran some drip irrigation pipe through that area as conduit. Rest was secured with clamps.

Bruce W.
QB turning into a SB
in Sacto CA.

Unfortunately I may be in the same position as Jekyll in that I have a QB fuselage and have already closed up the baggage compartment floors and I believe there is only the one set of snap bushings that go to the rear through the center tunnel.
So far I have strobe power supply, ELT, Dynon remote compass, tail lights, elevator trim, flaps, and pitch A/P servo wires that have to run through this area, this could be a problem :(
As I have access maybe I can open up the holes and run a larger diameter conduit if needed.
This would seem to be a typical setup so I assumed there would be enough space.

Another question is what do people do for multiple audio inputs to the intercom (D-100 AOA, EMS Alarms, 496 voice and music) as there is only one external audio input on my intercom (PMA 3000). I would also like to add an external input on the panel for the wife or kids to plug in an Ipod. Do I need to build/find an audio isolation amp?

Dave:

Upgrade to an 8000B :D Seriously, it will do everything you mentioned plus record radio calls and allow you to plug a cell phone into the front jack. The front jack for iPod and cell phone should be good bargaining points with the family comptroller.

On the tunnel runs: I ended up putting my marker beacon behind the baggage bulkhead and ran the coax through the right side bushings. As you know, there is no direct way to put a bushing in the back of the tunnel on the right side. I penetrated the bulkhead by drilling through the side of the tunnel at a 45 degree angle about 6 inches in front of the bulkhead. I installed a snap bushings. No conduit through there because it was closed up but, the coax was easy to poke through. You can do the same with a wire harness; feed a coat hanger or wire through both holes and use it pull the harness through.

Jekyll

Another thought

I was trying to minimize the number of wires that needed to go thorugh the center tunnel and I think I did a fairly decent job. I installed mid-fuselage terminal strips and fuse block to eliminiate some fo the individual wires that needed to go through the spar. Check out the Electrical pages at http://adapl.com/rv7.

Jim