aarvig

Well Known Member
Here's a question to ask that I didn't notice until, of course, after I drilled the holes. On the RV-9A I am drilling holes for wing wiring. I downloaded the "routing of wires in the wing" page from the construction FAQ's on Vans website. On there it says to open the forward tooling hole up to a max of 5/8 inch to take a -7 snap bushing. However, I happened upon a place in the plans that says to open that forward tooling hole up to 1/2 inch to take a -6 snap bushing. I drilled all the foward tooling holes out to 5/8 for the -7 snap bushing per the FAQ page before I noticed the plans said 1/2. Do I need to worry about rib strength integrity?

Last edited:
I don't see why that would be a problem. If you were using the cheap plastic conduit (as I did) , your holes are bigger than 1/2" and that doesn't cause any problem.

I have the 3/4 inch holes for the conduit, but I am actually wondering about the forward tooling hole. Can I open that up to 5/8 per the construction FAQ's in addition to the 3/4 inch hole for the conduit? The FAQ page says I can but then the plans call out 1/2 inch for the forward tooling hole so I am wondering if I drilled a hole that is to big.:confused:

On one of my wings, I opened up all of the tooling holes to 13/16" for conduit. I called and then emailed Vans and this is what they told me in 2008:

Mark: we have no absolute answer, because we've never tested ribs like yours. It seems
unlikely that it will cause any problem, but we can't say for absolute sure.

I'm building a 7 and not a 9 but I would imagine that you'll get a similar answer. It wasn't exactly "No problem" but I was confortable with it and I didn't replace them.

For some reason I was worried that pulling through 3/4" would be difficult in the wing-walk area. In hindsight, 13/16" is unnecessarily large; the conduit is very easy to pull through 3/4" holes.

On the other wing I put a 3/4" hole in the recommended location.