kritsher

Well Known Member
A few questions as I work through the avionics kit...

1. Section 42F page 4. Can anyone provide the details of how to wire up the DIN connector? Am I correct in assuming that the center of the shielded cable is the GPS data and the shield of the cable is the ground?

2. Section 42C page 9. When mounting the ADAHRS, the plans call for brass screws, but the screws I identified during inventory are black? Do I have the right screws?

3. When I installed my maplight, I followed instructions to run two new wires up to the panel. Now I see that there are two wires in my harness that look suspiciously like they want to go to the maplight. I can find no reference to them in my wiring harness instructions. Can anyone confirm that the maplight wires are purple/yellow and yellow/green? If so, which one of those is power, and which is ground? (or do these wires relate to question 1?)

4. Do I need to do anything with the jumpers in the ELT itself? (I have the ACK E-04 ELT.)

Thanks!

2. Section 42C page 9. When mounting the ADAHRS, the plans call for brass screws, but the screws I identified during inventory are black? Do I have the right screws?
Test them with a magnet. The screws should NOT be attracted to a magnet.
Joe Gores

Ken, per the ACK manual, pin 1 is for B+, pin 2 is for the RS232 from your GPS unit. Pin 3 is for ground. Pin 4 is for a GPS test lead, for confirmation of GPS signals actually reaching the ELT, using the test tool ACK specifies. The shield is open at the ELT, and is terminated to ground along with the ground wire at the panel end. The test wire on pin 4 is not a part of the three wire shielded cable, and needs to be supplied by you. ACK specifies 24 ga or larger wiring for all DIN connections. The jumpers on the unit are for selection of the Baud rate of your GPS, and are defaulted to 9600. The ACK manual is available for print on their website. I recommend you look over it as it is very complete, and shows the jumper positions should you need to change the Baud rate.

Greg

Last edited:
Ken -

The screws that came with my ADAHRS were black ... when tested with a magnet, they were non-magnetic.

For what it is worth I also substituted brass screws and nuts for the hardware that attaches the clam shell coveting around the DB connector along with the two mounting screws that secure the connector onto the ADAHRS.

The brass hardware in the accompanying photo required some custom grinding down of the screw heads and nut surfaces on a Scotch-Brite wheel to make them the same size as hardware supplied with the connector.
DSC09168.JPG

Happy building,