WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello!

I just got two new teakwood grips to replace my older, single PTT ones. Both new grips have PTT, trim (pitch), and flap switches on them. I am looking to remove the trim and flap switches from my dash to the new sticks and due to my lack of electric wiring experience and knowledge, I am looking for some guidance and help to do this properly.

If it was merely a matter of moving the switches to one stick grip, I think that's an easy enough swap that I could figure out. Where I am not sure is with two sticks and how to wire them properly together with consideration to dual activation of both switches.

Thank you for the help!

Wingnut

It kind of depends on what type of panel switches you have and if you have relays for them now. One possibility would be to have a look at one of our trim relay boards which would set you up with dual stick grip switches that would work the way most modern jets do today.

I flew the Gulfstreams when I was working and we had a preflight check where the pilot would hold nose down trim on his yoke trim switch, the copilot would follow with nose down (no effect), then nose up, which would stop the trim motion. This was repeated for each trim axis and direction. The idea was that in the event of a runaway trim, either pilot could stop it by trimming in the opposite direction. In an actual emergency, the one pilot would hold the trim in the opposite direction of the runaway trim while the other pilot pulled the appropriate circuit breaker. Our trim relay boards will set your airplane up the same way. Flaps control would work the same way for both sticks.

I would invite you to have a look around the web site below and at the very least it might give you some ideas on how to tackle the project. Let me know if you have any questions, be glad to help.

Definitely suggest Pat's "ultimate 25 pin DSUB" relay board (maybe I'm off on a word or two there but you get the idea). The wiring diagram that he sends with it spells out what wire goes where, in such a clear way to a newbie wire guy (me), that it was a no brainer to get wired up. It has worked flawlessly since I put it in.

relays

I would invite you to have a look around the web site below and at the very least it might give you some ideas on how to tackle the project. Let me know if you have any questions, be glad to help.

Pat, thanks for the replies to both of my posts. I am definitely interested in your relays, specifically one that will tie in my the trim (elevator+aileron) and flap setup for both sticks. I am not too savvy when it comes to electrical wiring but it sounds like you have some good laymen instructions that come along with these?

I will PM you or you can reply to me at [email protected]

Thank you!
Wingnut