Jim P

Well Known Member
For those that had someone do the wire harness for the avionics, how did you determine wire lengths for the harness. I'm having Stark to the harness for the avionics and need to determine lengths, basically from the main stack to GRTs and auto pilot control head.

Jim

Jim P said:
For those that had someone do the wire harness for the avionics, how did you determine wire lengths for the harness. I'm having Stark to the harness for the avionics and need to determine lengths, basically from the main stack to GRTs and auto pilot control head.

Jim

Hi, Jim.

This is a tricky question. In the past, I've had to buy Garmin avionics, and the dealer 'required' that they build the harness. Given that they only provided harnesses that had unterminated wire ends, I thought that was kind of silly.

So I just ordered all of the harnesses with 6' lengths of wire. I cut them to length, crimped on my terminals and installed them.

So... Garmin doesn't trust me to push terminals into D-sub housings on the instrument end, but they trust me not to screw up the terminations on the other end, very silly.

Vern Little

Jim P said:

Jim

In determining wire lengths, you might also want to consider adding about 18" on to whatever you determine you NEED to hook everything up. Especially if you're building a slider, that should allow you to have a "service loop" where you can pull the entire panel out far enough to reach back behind and unhook things when you want to either service or upgrade the panel in the future.