prkaye

Well Known Member
Does Van's Wiring kit come with plans and instructions? If so, is there a way to get these without buying the wiring kit? I've been told the wiring kit is not necessarily the best or most economical way to get wiring stuff, but I might find the plans a helpful starting point.

The wiring diagram is on your plans. I used Van's wiring harness on my 7 and found it to be a very good basic wiring system. If you figure the time to figure out what you need and the shipping for everything I think it is a good value. Mine has worked flawlessly from the first time I fired it up. Don

wiring

Does Van's Wiring kit come with plans and instructions? If so, is there a way to get these without buying the wiring kit? I've been told the wiring kit is not necessarily the best or most economical way to get wiring stuff, but I might find the plans a helpful starting point.
Phil,
My wiring kit came with very generic 3-4 page explanation of wiring and principles. Shows various terminals, wire, connectors, etc. and the basic wiring schematic that comes with all of Van's instruments. Good, but I didn't feel that it gave me enough explanation of variations or alternatives. I purchased the AeroElectric book and that opened the book literally to some very different possibilities, auto fuses vs pop breakers, switches, schematics and some very helpful info on just plain old wiring. Didn't answer all of my questions but gave me a broader knowledge base to make educated decisions. On specifics B&C, Stein, and of course VAF really helped out. For $36 it was cheap insurance to assist me in not frying expensive equipment when I fired up the system the first time. BTW, I still had to buy a whole bunch of other stuff on top of the basic Van's kit. I just purchased the basic wiring kit-not the pre-made kit.
Just my opinion, hope that this helps,
Mike H 9A/8A

yes, you can buy the drawings and wiring instructions without buying the wiring kit. Just call Van's or look around on the website. They cost about $10.00.

As Steve said...

yes, you can buy the drawings and wiring instructions without buying the wiring kit. Just call Van's or look around on the website. They cost about $10.00.

...but I like to be more specific....:)

DOC ES HARNESS-6/7/9 WIRING DWGS AND TEXT $20.00

However, getting a full copy of the AeroElectric Connection will give you much more (too much?) information....:)