apatti

Well Known Member
Bill VonDane's website contains a picture of a drawing from Van's that shows the location of holes in the F804 center section bulkhead for wiring purposeswww.rv8a.com/fuse/holes.jpg. It shows holes for Lights & Flaps on both the left and right and a hole for a battery cable on the left side. All of the holes are 3/4 inch and say "Note 2" beside them. Can someone tell me what "Note 2" says? It is not in the picture.

Also, the holes for the lights and flaps seem to be very close to the nutplates to which fuel lines will be attached in the future. Has this been a problem for others?

As always, thanks!

Tony,
Are you referring to Drawing OP11? If so, that
drawing was revised twice during the late 1990s. When
the 8A was introduced, Vans discovered that the call
out for the rudder cable holes had to be moved. The
holes used for the RV8 would cause the cables to rub
the main landing gear weldments. This caused chafing
of the cables on the 8A.
All the wiring and rudder cable holes were revised
for the 8A. I drilled my holes through the F-804
assembly per the Revision 2 of this drawing.
Everything works nicely. I have a few photos of how
some of my wiring goes through these holes. I'm
sending them to you off list.
Charlie Kuss

wiring holes

Charlie,

It looks like you and I are at the same stage again. I am finishing my plumbing and about to start wiring.

My spar carry thru has holes already in place for the rudder cables. I have not yet tested them in those holes. Do I understand that I may have to move the rudder holes to another location?

Do you have to drill holes in the spar carry through for the wiring? I thought that there was a hole already in place for the battery cable but I don't see that on my carry through.

I like to see the pics you have of where you placed the holes for wiring.

Thanks,

Tony

Thanks

Charlie,
My drawing does note the new locations for the 8A rudder cables and I used them. The "wiring" drawing I referred to in the above post is apparently old and does not. The website I pulled this from did have a warning for the 8A folks.
I did use the wiring hole locations shown on the drawing. However, I won't know how they work out until later.

Tony,
You do have to drill a hole for an aft mounted battery cable. As you noted there isn't one. I don't know if I will have an aft mounted battery. But I figure it is easier to put the hole in now rather than later.

F-804 Cable Holes

I used the hole locations shown in Drg. OP-11 rev2.Worked out OK - one hole in detail K is dimension 1-3/4 in from btm of spar - this was uncomfortably close to the spar - 1-7/8 or 2 in minimum would be better.

I subsequently added a additional pair of holes for the battery cables - above & beside the control stick see photo in http://www.rv8.ch/gallery/v/moodyj/IMG_1577.jpg.html

FWIW

John Moody

apatti said:
Charlie,
My drawing does note the new locations for the 8A rudder cables and I used them. The "wiring" drawing I referred to in the above post is apparently old and does not. The website I pulled this from did have a warning for the 8A folks.
I did use the wiring hole locations shown on the drawing. However, I won't know how they work out until later.

snipped

Tony,
The warning was in the RVator at the time that the error was first discovered. The update was first listed there. The drawing was then updated. Your wiring holes will work out fine.
Charlie