utawl

I will appreciate any advice please, I have a Dynon D180, Garmin Area 500 GPS Garmin SL40 and a Garmin GTX327.

Is there a step for step guide on how to wire these avionics to the D180. The Transponder setup is particularly confusing.

Thank you,

Kevern Brown

The trite answer:

Call Stein, get quote, write check, receive harness. sorry, too easy a target :eek:

But seriously,
I assume you have the installation manuals for each piece of equipment.
What you may need is a hint on how to organize your thoughts to fit YOUR PLANE.

Start with a clean sheet of paper and draw a box on the left of the page to represent the avionics piece you are wanting to wire. Only one box on the left side. Avionics that it will be wired to go in the right side. Multiple boxes on the right. Draw the wires connecting them. And at the ends, write down the appropriate D-sub connector pin number.

For the 4 electronics you list there will be one drawing each. You want a drawing that has the "piece of interest" on the left. One for each. Yes there is duplicate work but it is worth it.

The most complicated drawing you will do is the one with the D180 on the left. You don't have to start with that. You can do the GTX327 on the left (only about 6 wires total on that, including power and ground). Do the simple ones first. Each of them should be pretty simple when looking from the perpheral piece towards the D180. Then move to the more complicated D180 one (maybe with a bigger piece of paper) and use the completed drawings (in reverse) to create the D180 schematic.

If you can find some help in your locality to accomplish these schematics, you can thank that person and then go execute the wiring job.

Good Luck.

The trite answer:

Call Stein, get quote, write check, receive harness. sorry, too easy a target :eek:

But seriously,
I assume you have the installation manuals for each piece of equipment.
What you may need is a hint on how to organize your thoughts to fit YOUR PLANE.

Start with a clean sheet of paper and draw a box on the left of the page to represent the avionics piece you are wanting to wire. Only one box on the left side. Avionics that it will be wired to go in the right side. Multiple boxes on the right. Draw the wires connecting them. And at the ends, write down the appropriate D-sub connector pin number.

For the 4 electronics you list there will be one drawing each. You want a drawing that has the "piece of interest" on the left. One for each. Yes there is duplicate work but it is worth it.

The most complicated drawing you will do is the one with the D180 on the left. You don't have to start with that. You can do the GTX327 on the left (only about 6 wires total on that, including power and ground). Do the simple ones first. Each of them should be pretty simple when looking from the perpheral piece towards the D180. Then move to the more complicated D180 one (maybe with a bigger piece of paper) and use the completed drawings (in reverse) to create the D180 schematic.

If you can find some help in your locality to accomplish these schematics, you can thank that person and then go execute the wiring job.

Good Luck.
Love this advice! Where were you 4 years ago when I was doing this?

Utawl,
We have a d180, king kt76a xpndr, farming 496, and sl30. See me a pm with your email and I will fwd you our drawings.

Phelps

Just take the blue wire from the Garmin and run it to all the other stuff. Look for the RS-232 in (or RX) on each of the other devices. Take the altitude ou (Tx) from the Dynon and also run it to an RX for the Txpdr. Then, do a few simple setup steps as outlined in the Dynon manual and you're good to go.

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks for the responses. The wiring is looking very good, all neat and connected up except for the avionics as listed. I bought the made up wiring harnesses and the data cable for area 500. I have no problem with the power and ground etc. I suppose a simple this wire goes to this pin etc would work, the manual is a bit vague.

Thanks