Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
If you look at the thread below for the diagram, my question will make more sense:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=19457&highlight=alternator+field+wiring

According to Van's instructions, only lead #3 is used for the field switch from the alternator. According to Plane Power, #3 and #2 are used.

Whose directions do you follow?

Also, to throw a curve into the equation, the plug came wired from Plane Power and has a jumper from #2 to #1. What's up this?:confused::confused:

While I have you electrical gurus attention, I have another question. According to the Vans diagram, it list an optional wiring for the starter selenoid. This one has you remove a jumper on the selenoid and add a wire from the "I" terminal on the starter relay to the selenoid. Is this any better than leaving the jumper in place and only having the main 2 gauge wire from the relay to the starter and no lead on the "I" post?:confused:

Thanks in advance from all. :)This ONE connection for the alternator field will finish all wiring under the cowl.:) I called it quits today because I just wasn't sure. :confused::confused:

What alt are you using? I would follow the instructions that apply to the unit you are using. Vans older rebuilt unit used 2 wires, their new unit uses one wire, the plane power uses a jumper (2 wires). Of course this is in addition to the B+ wire. If you are using a generic unit, you will need to find out which connection is the field, it seems that the green wire might work if the generic plug is used. If you have a local alt repair shop, I'm sure they would answer your question pertaining to the alt you have. Good Luck, Larry

Alternator wiring

Webb,
Check out Plane Power's web site for the latest instructions. Mine, too, has the jumper. The red wire goes to the switch, the white wire goes to a warning lamp if one is used.
http://www.plane-power.com/images/99 - 9900C.pdf
As for the starter, there has been some discussion on this topic on the forums. I have the Skytec starter and elected to leave the jumper in place and just run one wire (the fat one) to the starter, per Skytec's instructions.
http://www.skytecair.com/Jumper101.htm
Good luck.
Just finished wiring the alternator!

Last edited:
Webb,
Check out Plane Power's web site for the latest instructions. Mine, too, has the jumper. The red wire goes to the switch, the white wire goes to a warning lamp if one is used.
Good luck.
http://www.plane-power.com/images/99 - 9900C.pdf
Just finished wiring the alternator!

Ward - Now I'm really confused. On mine, pin 3 has the white wire, pin 2 has a red and there is a jumper between 2 and 1. The Plane Power diagram has 3 and 2 running to the field switch (breaker). If you look at the thread that I refered to, my diagram looks that way.

My guess is a call to Plane Power tomorrow, a call to Vans, and then a coin toss. Ironically, this is the LAST wire under the cowl!!!!! Everything else is done, in adel clamps, etc.....

Diagram

Webb,
The diagram that came with my alternator looks like the one in the thread you refer to, so I went to the website. It seemed to make sense to me that the red wire would go to the switch. A call to Plane Power sounds like a good idea. If you call them, would you be kind enough to post the results here?
Back to the baffles!
How are things in Jackson? We have family near Vicksburg. Beautiful part of the country!

Last edited:
I'M REALLY CONFUSED ALSO.........

Ward - Now I'm really confused. On mine, pin 3 has the white wire, pin 2 has a red and there is a jumper between 2 and 1. The Plane Power diagram has 3 and 2 running to the field switch (breaker). If you look at the thread that I refered to, my diagram looks that way......

In the quote above, you say that there is a jumper between 2 and 1. At the start of the thread you say "According to Plane Power, #3 and #2 are used." And then you send us to a site here ... http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...r+field+wiring ... that shows the way that PLANE POWER wants you to wire the alternator. It shows a jumper between 2 and 1. Or you could say.... 1 and 2.

My question is...........On your diagram that you received in the box with your PLane POwer generator, does it say, or show that there is a jumper between #1 and #2? IF THE ANSWER IS YES! Then your unit is the same as the one in this diagram.... http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...r+field+wiring
and also the same as the one that I installed on my 6A.

The wire from 1 and 2 goes to field. Wire it to a pull 5A breaker.

The wire from 3 is used only for an idiot light if you want one.

A good installation would also have you running a "CASE GROUND" to the engine case, from the alternator case.

The "B" lead is the big cable that will go to the battery + normally connected to the battery side of the master solinoid.

It you really need to call someone, PlanePower would be the one to call. You want to connect it the way they want it connected.

You made a GOOD choice for your power supply. It will serve you well.....

Calling Plane Power

I'm going to give Plane Power a call and I'll let others know what I find out.

To clarify for all, the prewired plug doesn't match the diagram that came from them.

Diagram - #3 (white wire) and #2 (red wire) connected to the field switch. #1 to the idiot light. You could also consider this #3 with jumper to #2 (1 wire to switch), and #1 with 1 wire for idiot light.

Pre-Wired Plug - #3 (white wire), #2 (red wire) and a jumper over to #1.

Bottom line - pre-wired plug does not match diagram. Also, Van's says to only use #3 and that doesn't agree with diagram or plug.

As I said, I'm calling plane power and will report back.

Talked to Plane Power

Nice folks. Found out the diagram is labeled backwards and was told to trust the plug.

Turns out that for the AL 12-E160/B Alternator, the pin labeling is upside down. #3 is #1 and vica versa.

Here is what they mean and what they do (please don't turn this into a technical discussion if I don't EXACTLY phrase it properly).

On the diagram:
#3 is really pin #1 according to connection spine. It senses the voltage.
#2 is still #2. It powers the regulator. This is the wire (red) that is connected to the field switch on the panel. It is also jumpered over to pin #1 (#3 on the diagram) and the jumper MUST be there.
#1 is really pin #3 and runs the idiot light. It is the white wire and illuminates when the alternator is not producing power and goes to ground.

There you have it folks. I think I'll stick an annunicator light in (yes, fancy talk for idiot light) since the wire is there. Take just a few more minutes.
Worst issue, where to put on the panel (lol).