Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
Where can I find a "Rule Book" on correct wiring?
Things like, rubber or plastic grommets in a bulk head to run wires through.
In my fuselage, one I bought, the wires from the empennage run on the
bottom of the fuselage. Plastic snap rings in the bulkheads, but they are
Just laying on the bottom skin with no attachment to anything to hold them.
Is that ok? I don't feel like it is, but don't know what is proper.
I have AeroElectric Connection, but it does not talk about that kind of stuff.
I would appreciate any direction on where to learn this kind of detail. :confused:

AC 43-13, Chapter 11

AC43.13, Chap 11 is the bible. Paragraph 11-96 addresses some of your concerns. However, it is open to much interpretation.

Avotek's "Aircraft Wiring and Electrical Installation" gives you a little more. But, some of the best learning you'll get is to go look at proper aircraft wiring. If you can go look in the avionics bay of a 777, what you've read in AC43.13 and the Avotek book would instantly make sense. Short of that, if there's an aviation museum or aircraft static display in your area, go have a look. Take pictures!

Short of that, if there's an aviation museum or aircraft static display in your area, go have a look. Take pictures!

Some of my most valuable learning time was spent just looking at wiring of GA aircraft under repair at a local avionics shop.

Some of my most valuable learning time was spent just looking at wiring of GA aircraft under repair at a local avionics shop.

At one time, I did electrical and avionics troubleshooting and repair for several flying club aircraft. I even did some fairly extensive panel upgrades, including a couple of IFR GPS installations.

Unfortunately, what I saw of the existing wiring in those airplanes was often very good examples of "what-not-to-do".

At one time, I did electrical and avionics troubleshooting and repair for several flying club aircraft. I even did some fairly extensive panel upgrades, including a couple of IFR GPS installations.

Unfortunately, what I saw of the existing wiring in those airplanes was often very good examples of "what-not-to-do".

You mean you're not supposed to just cut the old harness off and leave it in place?! :confused:

"What-not-to-do" was definitely some of what I learned looking at GA wiring, but it did help to know that "less-than-textbook-perfect" could be functional for 40+ years.

I never did find that one good reference source that I suspect the OP is looking for. It would be tough to write because of all the different ways to do things but I bet The Illustrated Guide To Wiring Your Experimental Airplane would sell well.

"What-not-to-do" was definitely some of what I learned looking at GA wiring, but it did help to know that "less-than-textbook-perfect" could be functional for 40+ years.

I never did find that one good reference source that I suspect the OP is looking for. It would be tough to write because of all the different ways to do things but I bet The Illustrated Guide To Wiring Your Experimental Airplane would sell well.

"The Aeroelectric Connection" isn't far off...

You mean you're not supposed to just cut the old harness off and leave it in place?! :confused:

We did a simple Christen Eagle some years ago.

Strip down, sort out, rewire.

I fetched a birds nest of wires out from - progressive installs that was a full 2 feet in diameter !

Where can I find a "Rule Book" on correct wiring? I have AeroElectric Connection, but it does not talk about that kind of stuff. I would appreciate any direction on where to learn this kind of detail. :confused:

Bert,

I successfully finished my wiring recently after starting with zero experience. It was a very steep learning curve. I never did find a "Rule Book". Here's where I learned what I needed to know, in no particular order of importance.

• AC43.13
  • Aeroelectric Connection (their website was a much better source of illustrations. The book has lots of good theory but not many pictures or specs that show what's a good crimp and other things we need to know)
  • EAA How-To videos
  • VAF
  • RV websites
  • Google search for "aircraft wiring" and other similar search terms. Both web and image search
  • Manufacturer's website documentation (The companies of the products you're buying often have specs on what's proper. I think AMP or now TE Connectivity has quite a bit)
  • Looking at RVs under construction
  • Looking at GA aircraft under repair at an avionics shop
  • Talking to an experimental friendly avionics tech
  • Van's electrical system preview plans and instructions
  • Documentation and instructions from the systems you're installing (Vertical Power was especially good)
  • Youtube
  • B&C Electrical and Stein's websites are a good source for the smaller list of what others are using and buying. I purchased from both. The big websites like Digikey and Mouser have too many millions of items.

Bert,

I feel for you because we've all been there ourselves. I had many of the same questions, made many mistakes along the way, and have finally gotten pretty good at it. As others have said, follow the rule book, but a lot of it is common sense as well. The trick is having a plan and finding proper ways to support the wire bundles in various locations. Some of the big iron mechanics have access to various parts that make that job easier. For the rest of us, there's always Clickbond fasteners.

Below are a couple of pictures from my Rocket build that have been seen here many times before. They show what is possible with a little pre-planning and patience.

Rigging155.jpg

Rigging156.jpg

Rigging157.jpg

I don't have any special skills and you can achieve results like this. I do have a couple of hints that may make your efforts easier:

1. Have a plan. You don't need formal drawings but you need an idea of what wires need to go where so you can bundle them. Scratch something out that approximates the location of your devices and draw wiring runs between them.

2. I wire from the rear forward. I just got finished wiring my RV-12 which comes with a wiring harness. It goes in just the opposite and boy, was it a pain. Start from the rear, run wires along the path in your drawing and run them to their destination. Leave about 5' tails so you can do the detail routing behind the panel later. Temporarily use plastic wire ties to keep the wires together. Leave them a little loose and you can slip new wires inside them without replacing them.

3. Generally, I like to run two runs through the fuselage. One for power wires and one for sensitive stuff. Keeping these wires apart helps to eliminate noise interference later. It's not absolutely necessary but I like to do it this way. Sensitive stuff would include any audio wires, trim, autopilot, etc.

4. Pay attention to your grounds. Many electrical problems can be tied to bad grounds. Most power components can be grounded at the device, like a mounting screw. I always ground my audio components behind the panel along with the radios so run ground wires back behind the panel. Grounding these locally will create a ground loop which will generate noise in your headsets.

5. Buy good tools and good fittings. Use only airfraft grade PIDG terminals and the proper crimping tool. Same for BNC connectors and pin connectors. Find out the right tool to set them correctly and buy it. Cheapest insurance you will ever buy.

6. Once you get all the wires behind the panel, start organizing them by the device they go to. Get them into bundles as soon as they enter behind the panel. So you'll have a bunch of different bundles entering behind the panel and they need to transition into new bundles for the device that they need to attach to. At this point, you should verify that each device has the proper count of wires for it. Now before you cut any wires, figure out the routing of the bundle behind the panel. Give yourself some slack. Think about removing the device during service or pulling something out from the front of the panel.

7. I like to use wax chord to tie off my wires. I'm not a big fan of the plastic ties although I use them occasionaly. They usually cut my hands when I reach behind the panel so I avoid them if possible.

8. Support for your wire bundles is important. You need to allow some flexibility but you don't want them flopping around. Again, common sense here.

9. There are two kinds of rubber tape that I receommend you purchase. The first one is orange and is very thin. It is latex and only sticks to itself. It is good for wrapping bundles for supporting them. It will protect them from chafing. The other is a black, thicker rubber tape that has adhesive on one side. I use this on any sharp edge close to where my wiring is running. This again puts a rubber cover on a shrp edge and protects my wires.

That's it for now (probably too much). Let me know if I can help with any questions.

9. There are two kinds of rubber tape that I receommend you purchase. The first one is orange and is very thin. It is latex and only sticks to itself. It is good for wrapping bundles for supporting them. It will protect them from chafing. The other is a black, thicker rubber tape that has adhesive on one side. I use this on any sharp edge close to where my wiring is running. This again puts a rubber cover on a shrp edge and protects my wires.

Do you have a source/part number you could recommend? Thanks

I think he means self-fusing silicone tape and it comes in many colors. http://www.tommytape.com This link as a kit with all colors.

I mostly use the black for making a bundle fit the strain relief hole of s-sub hoods, but match the color to the tasks.

I await a source or recommendation for the rubber tape. Is this the stuff? http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...H1gs_05R8PJBJQT_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv)&rt=d

One additional consideration to Randy's excellent list is consideration for sticking your hand under the forward fuse to buck rivets, and/or work from the bottom to service components in the future.

Last edited:
I wish ...

... my wiring looked as good as Randy's. Part of the problem I had was just running out of space to put stuff - both the components and the associated wiring. Finding space to put things gets exponentially more difficult with each additional item you install.

There are also little things you learn after you've got everything in and working. For example, my plane had been flying for a couple of years when I learned that "conduit inner diameter should be 25% larger than the maximum diameter of the wire bundle" (AC-43.13-1B, par 11-249). The wiring in my wing conduit is closer to 98% of the conduit ID. :eek:

I'm glad that I almost never turn on all the electrical devices in those bundles.

There's other considerations too, like don't run low-power/low-voltage sensor wires near high-power/high-voltage strobe light wires, etc.

I'd caution against going overboard for what looks correct, but in fact is not needed. You want to protect against abrasion, cutting, etc of the wires; if they are lying flat and lose for a couple of feet on the fuselage floor between bulkheads nothing will happen to them. So what if they're not tightly jammed together in a neat-looking bundle with wraps and ties every 6 inches?

I made my fuselage floor panels removable, cabin and baggage areas, so I can get to all wires for maintenance. If you rivet per Vans, you will definitely need conduit.

For all materials: wires, conduit, wraps, etc., use aircraft quality stuff. You don't want flammable or toxic-smoke junk in case of a short.

Thanks

I really appreciate all the replies and suggestions. Ya'll have confirmed
Some of what I was thinking...use electrical common sense! I am not
electricity dumb, having had my ham license since high school, built and
wired two houses and worked in a chemical plant 25 yrs. BUT...when
airplane is involved, I was seeing the horror putting a bunch wiring and
time to find out it won't pass inspection...simply lack of knowledge.
Using all the info ya'll have provided and common sense I think now it's
just a matter of study then do.
Thanks to everyone...this is a great place to be a member.:)