sglynn

Well Known Member
I've got a few questions about installing AVEO engineering LED lights that maybe you all can help with. Questions are:

1) Should the wires running to these LEDs be shielded?
2) Do you use the peak AMPs for determining wire gauge?
3) Where can I get shielded, 4 conductor 20 gauge wire? (ssuming 3 amps peak and 20 feet length, looks like 20 gauge wire is needed? Or do you think 22 gauge is okay?
4) Finally what is the thread size in the standard tail light adapter? Is 4-40 or M3?

Thanks

I've got a few questions about installing AVEO engineering LED lights that maybe you all can help with. Questions are:

1) Should the wires running to these LEDs be shielded?
2) Do you use the peak AMPs for determining wire gauge?
3) Where can I get shielded, 4 conductor 20 gauge wire? (ssuming 3 amps peak and 20 feet length, looks like 20 gauge wire is needed? Or do you think 22 gauge is okay?
4) Finally what is the thread size in the standard tail light adapter? Is 4-40 or M3?

Thanks

All I can give you is my humble opinion.... see the other thread on the same subject.. and it is early in the AM so forgive me:

1) Better safe than sorry. I used shielded wire. Three conductor was enough for the NAV power, STROBE power, and SYNC line. I used the shield as ground.

2) I would be conservative here also, but the correct answer depends on the issue. Is it voltage drop you are concerned about or current carrying capability of the wire? My Aveoflash draw about .25A for the nav and .75A for the strobes although the peak is higher. With a 50CPS flash rate the RMS is much lower than the peak. Using their wire chart, it looks like 22GA is just fine. And... I think that is what is on their pigtail leads.

3) See number 1

4) I used long 6-32 mostly for the head size, I have no idea if there is a standard.

Here is a word of caution for you and any other builder about Aveoflash wiring. I used the AVEOFLASHLP LSA integrated lights. I designed my switch panel to have a nav switch and a strobe switch. To shorten the story, Aveoengineering buried the fact that the navs must be powered for the strobes to work on page 7 of an 8 page installation manual in regular print. Had I known that I would have used a DPDT switch. The solution was easy and only required a 90 cent diode so that the NAV line is fed by the STROBE line when only that switch is selected on. This functionality may have changed with subsequent design as I review newer installation manuals. Just know before you go.

Don

Last edited:
Wiring Aveo LED Lights Questions

Don, thanks, your answers are very helpful. And I did find the other thread you mentioned.

I guess I'll use 4 wire shielded gauage 22, plus I can get that from Stein. But I'm thinking of using a 4th wire for ground and not the shield wire. I'll ground the shield at the firewall and leave it open at the light.

UPDATE: I tested my light and the need for having the postion power on in order to get strobe seems to have been changed. I can connect just strobe to positive with ground and the strobe works without having to have the postion power applied. When I tested the light I could hear a very high frequence whine when it started up.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Questions

Hi Matt,

I've wired two planes for the Aveo's now. The first was a retrofit so I used the wires that were already there. Although I could have separated the Position and Strobes, I didn't. They are on the same switch. I used 18 ga. because that is what was there. The ground is 18 ga also and is locally grounded.

The Aveo landing/taxi light combination were separated and used 18 ga for the same reasons as above. None of it is shielded and the lights are absolutely silent.

On the new plane, I used all 20 ga for power and strobe sync wires. The grounds are 18 ga and locally grounded. Further, I used a Cannon plug at the tip rib so the wing tip and associated wiring could be easily remove. Picture attached. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions.

FYI, the four wires on the Fast-on terminals are the grounds, Landing, Taxi, Position and Strobe.

2unu7mv.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
My Opinion

I also have planned on Aveo Position / Strobes Peak amps are right about 3 per light. This is a momentary max pulse. Personally, I want all the stobes on one 10 Amp circuit pin on a VPX. I'm all about flexability. I'm running a 3 conductor 18 Awg shieled wire and along side that I have a 18 awg single conductor (non shielded) ground. I'm starting out with a local ground. Should I ever need the full ground, its there & all I have to do is crimp a connector. just my take :D